• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

QR codes in books?

Jhaelen

First Post
When was the last time you read a ketchup bottle?
Well, when was the last time you _wanted_ to read a ketchup bottle?
Well, I'm always scanning the list of ingredients and often the nutrition info, but what else of interest could I potentially find by following that QR code?
It'll be nothing but an ad, a stupid sweepstake, recipes (bake a ketchup cake - yummy!), or some other kind of marketing stunt.

It's exactly the kind of thing I try to avoid as much as possible!

Mishihari Lord

First Post
Yep. There are a couple of reasons why Europe is somewhat ahead of the States when it comes to mobile phone technology - largely because our standards bodies got their acts together faster, and partly because we were able to skip some of the dead-ends in installing infrastructure that they hit over there.

(Similarly, we're ahead on things like chip-n-pin and contactless payment. There are, of course, other areas where the US is ahead.)

I think one of the biggest reasons is a significantly higher penetration for PCs in the U.S. vs Europe. I don't see a reason to get a smartphone when my laptop does everything better anyway.

Back on topic, I don't object to having a QR code in the book. I won't use it, but some applications are intriguing. Frex, a character building to help get new players up and running quickly would be pretty useful.

QR codes can be fun. I got my brother in law a tshirt with with a big QR code on the front and back. If you use it it delivers a message, "please stop taking pictures of me" I thought it was pretty funny anyway.

delericho

Legend
I think one of the biggest reasons is a significantly higher penetration for PCs in the U.S. vs Europe. I don't see a reason to get a smartphone when my laptop does everything better anyway.

I doubt that's a major factor. If anything, it's the opposite - people who once had a laptop are finding they no longer have use for it since their phone can do everything they used a laptop for and is much more convenient.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I doubt that's a major factor. If anything, it's the opposite - people who once had a laptop are finding they no longer have use for it since their phone can do everything they used a laptop for and is much more convenient.

For me, the laptop argument (or a variant thereof) probably holds. I spend most of my day within reach of a computer. I simply don't see having the internet on my hip for those few moments when a better machine is not at hand to be a major value, compared to the cost involved. Plus, I don't see how I'd carry one around comfortably.

Overall, though, I expect a few factors are in play. Economics being one of them. As in - smartphones are not cheap, and neither are data plans. I wouldn't be surprised if the US mobile market had more folks at the bottom end, who have a cell phone, but who either just can't afford the higher prices, or who don't see it as well justified in a tight budget.

For Morrus' purposes, those folks probably aren't in the market for his product anyway.

Last edited:

Mishihari Lord

First Post

I'm working in consumer electronics right now and I have access to some market research. The experts in the field think it's a big factor. There is a lot of other stuff that gets into it as well of course, some of which you cited.

Personally, I'm like Umbran. I have to have a real computer at home and work for the things I do there, and when I'm away from those places, well, if I'm at the park with my kids I want to be doing at the park with the kids stuff, not surfing the internet. Economically, I can't justify the additional cost of a smartphone to myself when my computers already fill those needs.

And I suppose convenient is in the eye of the beholder. Some folks think it's convenient to have the internet wherever. I personally don't care. I find a keyboard, mouse, and large screen very convenient compared to a smartphone's user interface.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I put some in my Kickstarter playtest documents today just too see what people said. They link to YouTube videos

delericho

Legend
I'm working in consumer electronics right now and I have access to some market research. The experts in the field think it's a big factor.

Funnily enough, I could have posted almost exactly the same thing - different experts; a different conclusion. Though I might be using out-dated data, or perhaps it's just a different bias here. Or perhaps our mileage varies because the EU uses the Metric system. :)

And I suppose convenient is in the eye of the beholder. Some folks think it's convenient to have the internet wherever. I personally don't care. I find a keyboard, mouse, and large screen very convenient compared to a smartphone's user interface.

Indeed. My experience from watching people use smartphones here is that they mostly use the internet for Twitter, Facebook and similar low-I/O applications, so don't really need a keyboard. Whereas the precise reason I don't have a smartphone is that the things I do use the internet for are a bit more intensive - the thought of composing this post without a keyboard is not exactly an appealing one.

Jhaelen

First Post
So, .... you always have your laptop in your pocket? Probably a bag of holding, huh? ;-)

Remove ads