• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about Black Dragon

baberg

First Post
Turn: One creature's actions (standard, move, minor)
Round: Every creature has taken their turn

So when they say "One immediate reaction per round" it means you can do it once between your turns.

Or, in picture form:
Code:
PC A's turn    PC B's turn   Monster's turn   PC C's turn  PC A's turn  ....
      |            .                .                .           |
      ------------------------------------------------------------
                             1 Round

Last edited:

MindWanderer

First Post
Rechan said:
What's the difference between a turn and a round?

Or rather, which is it when:

You go from top of the initiative order to the bottom, and then you start back at the top
You go from one step of the initiative to the next (Bill has init 15, Josh has Init 15 - it goes from Bill to Josh - what is that?).
A turn is from when Bill's initiative comes up to when he's done everything he can do. It starts with certain things (like taking ongoing damage) and ends with other things (like making saving throws).

A round is from any given point in initiative to the same point when it comes around again.

Rechan

Adventurer
baberg said:
Turn: One creature's actions
Round: Every creature has taken their turn

So when they say "One immediate reaction per round" it means you can do it once between your turns.
Thought as much.

Which means you'll hear "I hope the fighter misses and it tail slaps him, so I don't get tailslapped if I hit!" and "Quick, miss and get tail slapped; it must be close to bloodied, I don't want to get acid in my face!" more often.

Also, are there only one OA per round? I can see a lot of really slippery rogues pulling OAs so that other people can do ballsy things with impunity.

Boarstorm

First Post
rkanodia said:
You can make one OA on each other creature's turn, so it's no longer possible to have one character 'soak' OAs for another.

Hmm, news to me. I love these forums. I learn something new every day.

invokethehojo

First Post
rkanodia said:
You can make one OA on each other creature's turn, so it's no longer possible to have one character 'soak' OAs for another.

Do you know this for sure?

And if so ,if three kobolds ran past me I could make an opportunity attack on each one, just not two on the same one in any given round?

Jhaelen

First Post
invokethehojo said:

And if so ,if three kobolds ran past me I could make an opportunity attack on each one, just not two on the same one in any given round?
Well, yes, at least that's the way it works in the minis game (DDM2.0).

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
rkanodia said:
The double claw ability is better than the single claw ability; when you're going to attack in melee, that's the one to use.

Not necessarily the best option - Bite is also very good (because it has the ongoing Acid 5 thing with it. Nasty)

Dragonblade

Adventurer
invokethehojo said:

Yes. Each PC can take one OA per foe per round without limit. So if 3 creatures move past you and trigger OA's, you can take an OA on each one. However, if one triggers an OA as its moving and then casts a ranged spell adjacent to you (which triggers another OA), you don't get two against that same creature that round. Only one which you already took when it moved.

OAs can only be made with attacks that are considered "basic" attacks. Some at-will powers can get this designation.

Also, do not confuse OAs with monster powers that give monsters immediate actions in response to something a PC does. These are not OAs and are not subject to OA rules. For example, if a monster has a power that gives it an immediate attack against PCs that move adjacent to it, then that is not an OA. It is a power. If the PC has an ability that lets him ignore OAs for movement (for example), that PC's power would not apply against the monster's attack because that attack would not be an OA.

OAs in 4th edition have a very specific meaning and very specific guidelines.

Last edited:

Remove ads