• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about Black Dragon

invokethehojo

First Post
Hey, I still have one more question. I know the claw is a basic attack, is the bite a basic attack as well, my stat block does not indicate which are basic and which are not. this is about the black dragon from the raiders adventure

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
I'd probably suggest reducing the dragon's AC and defenses, fwiw. I could have sworn I read somewhere about doing just that (ie, like its DDXP stats were too high and it was supposed to be lower), but it's mostly a fun factor thing. You're probably using level 1 characters, so making it that hard to hit is just a pain. Skim 2-4 off the top and it'll just be more fun.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
invokethehojo said:
Hey, I still have one more question. I know the claw is a basic attack, is the bite a basic attack as well, my stat block does not indicate which are basic and which are not

I was reading Keep on the Shadowfell at my FLGS, and they explain it in there, IRC. Any monster attack with the :bmelee: symbol is considered a basic melee attack for purposes of using for OA's. (Or was it :melee: ? I don't remember exactly...)

invokethehojo

First Post
Dragonblade said:
I was reading Keep on the Shadowfell at my FLGS, and they explain it in there, IRC. Any monster attack with the :bmelee: symbol is considered a basic melee attack for purposes of using for OA's. (Or was it :melee: ? I don't remember exactly...)

I don't want to sound prickish (cuz you did answer my question) but I kinda need to know which is which...

Nevermind, the quote above me as I write has the scource code in place of those symbols and the one with the circle is labeled "bmelee" while the other is "melee" so I guess that solves it.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
invokethehojo said:
I don't want to sound prickish (cuz you did answer my question) but I kinda need to know which is which...

Heh...No its a fair point. :)

Ok, I just double-checked a monster stat block. :bmelee: designates a basic melee attack.

deathdonut

First Post
keterys said:
I'd probably suggest reducing the dragon's AC and defenses, fwiw. I could have sworn I read somewhere about doing just that (ie, like its DDXP stats were too high and it was supposed to be lower), but it's mostly a fun factor thing. You're probably using level 1 characters, so making it that hard to hit is just a pain. Skim 2-4 off the top and it'll just be more fun.

In addition to giving most of my PC's +1 weapons/implements by the dragon fight, I knocked 2 points off of all the defenses. In retrospect, the weapons might have been too much and I would recommend 2 points from all defenses or 1 point if you plan on distributing some magic items.

rkanodia

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Not necessarily the best option - Bite is also very good (because it has the ongoing Acid 5 thing with it. Nasty)
This is true. I meant more specifically that single claw was always inferior to double claw as a use of a standard action.

invokethehojo

First Post
deathdonut said:
In addition to giving most of my PC's +1 weapons/implements by the dragon fight, I knocked 2 points off of all the defenses. In retrospect, the weapons might have been too much and I would recommend 2 points from all defenses or 1 point if you plan on distributing some magic items.

Well what I will be doing is giving the PC's a few magic items before the battle, cloak of resistance, light shield of resistance and belt of vigor.

I also scaled down the dragon, but a little differently.
-4 AC, -2 all other defenses
-80hp for an even 200
I took away the cloud of darkness ability (mostly cuz I don't like to run those kind of abilities)
and I took its damage and attack bonuses down by one or two for each attack.

Don't know how that will work but my PC's should be fairly beat up by the time they get there. I hope that I have given them a chance but that it doesn't end up being easy, I wouldn't mind killing all of them, as long as its a drawn out battle that is cool

Anyone have any advice/ideas on this?

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
With the defense changes and removal of the darkness ability, I'm not sure you need to drop its hp as well unless the players will be excessively beat up / tapped for abilities.

Remove ads