D&D 5E Question about shield proficiency

RigaMortus2

First Post
I know w/ armor (such as chain shirt, scale mail, etc) that if you are wearing it but are not proficient, all your Str and Dex checks have disadvantage. What about if you are using a Shield and you are not proficient in them? I can't seem to find the drawback for this...

Also, if you are a spell caster that is NOT proficient in Shields, but you choose to use one anyway, any additional drawbacks (such as it messing w/ spell casting)?

Nine Hands

Explorer
From what I can see on the armor section, shields are a form of armor.

They are mentioned under Armor Proficiency on page 144.

"Anyone can put on a suit of armor or strap a shield to an arm. Only those proficient in the armor's use know how to wear it effectively."

Additionally, shield is listed as a type of armor on the chart on page 145, which I think seals the deal.

So without shield proficiency you suffer the listed penalties as it is armor.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Any way to get more proficiency bonus to other skills? Like after 1st level, other than my starting skills, how do I get more skills (or get to apply prof bonus to more skills)?

Fralex

Explorer
You can also learn certain skills by multiclassing, but adding on an additional class to the character just for more skills overcomplicates it. Like Tormyr says, the Skilled feat should cover most needs. You actually learn 3 skills/tools at once with that one.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
Is there a way to gain proficiency with shields?

I see feats for gaining proficiency with light, medium, and heavy armor as well as weapons, skills, and languages (and some tools in UA feats).

If you can't get a shield proficiency, I wonder if that was purposeful or an oversight.

Lanliss

Explorer
Is there a way to gain proficiency with shields?

I see feats for gaining proficiency with light, medium, and heavy armor as well as weapons, skills, and languages (and some tools in UA feats).

If you can't get a shield proficiency, I wonder if that was purposeful or an oversight.

Multiclassing into Barbarian, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Paladin, or Ranger will give Shield Proficiency (PHB 164). Also the Moderately Armored feat (PHB 168) gives Medium armor and Shields.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'll just note that as someone who has trained with sword and shield that they are a bit tricky to use. They hinder your own attacks, and if you aren't disciplined they are easily bypassed. However once you know what you are doing they are quite nice...

So yes, there *definitely* should be a penalty for non-proficient uses.

Remove ads