D&D 3E/3.5 Question - Demoralize Opponent

Water Bob

Adventurer
A player asked me this today, and I'm not sure how to answer it. I told him that I'd think about it and get back to him.

Let's say that two PCs are fighting one foe. PC Alfred is successful using the Intimidate skill to Demoralize Opponent. This makes the target shaken.
Does PC Benford reap the same benefit? Or, is the foe shaken only with respect to PC Alfred?

A player asked me this today, and I'm not sure how to answer it. I told him that I'd think about it and get back to him.

Let's say that two PCs are fighting one foe. PC Alfred is successful using the Intimidate skill to Demoralize Opponent. This makes the target shaken.
Does PC Benford reap the same benefit? Or, is the foe shaken only with respect to PC Alfred?
The Shaken condition is on the opponent, not on the person who inflicted it. It is independent of who they are dealing with at the time.

The Shaken character takes a -2 to attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks. (Condition Summary :: d20srd.org). It's basically a one-round debuff on the opponent. That applies to the actions taken while Shaken, not just dealing with the person that Intimidated them. If the opponent were to try a skill check that didn't oppose or target any one else in that time, the -2 penalty would still apply to that.

Remove ads