D&D 5E Question on diagonal movement with minatures (or VTT)

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Using diagonal movement to go in a complete “circle” around a medium creature only takes 28 feet, which is pretty close to the 31 feet it would take to go in an actual 10 foot diameter circle. Making you go in a 40 foot square instead is excessive to say the least!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
There is? I use both wording to mean difficult terrain. None of my players are confused.
Sure, costing "double movement" means it is always double movement. Saying it is difficult terrain means it cost twice as much, but there are features that make it so you ignore that additional cost.

My point was the OP's DM might be ruling it is just "double movement" and not difficult terrain, thus you can't get rid of that additional movement penalty. I don't know how their DM runs it, but if it is always "double movement", it is a house-rule since the features to stop difficult terrain won't help. If, however, the OP used that term to express the effect of the DM's imposing difficult terrain (as you seem to do), then it isn't a house-rule.

So, yes, there is a difference because it depends on if that movement penalty for difficult terrain can be mitigated by features that ignore difficult terrain.

Remove ads