Question on levels above 20th

Fenris

Adventurer
I realize that there will be a book for Epic levels above 20th, but what problems would be caused by having character levels above 20th. If characters multiclass and have 3 different classes at 10th level, mechnically they work out fine, I suppose you would have to extrapolate the BAB table. But aside from a scaled EX table and the difficulty of matching up CR, what balance or game mechanics problem does this scenario present? This is not an immediate problem, I just don't wish to see limitations placed on a character for developement purposes. If someone wants to be the most powerful Mage in the world they currently have to single class, but wouldn't very powerful villans and heros have high levels in many classes? Thank you for your thoughts.

kreynolds

First Post
You don't level the same at all past 20th level. For example, 2 of the few (currently) choices you have are: +1 to base attack bonus or +1 effective level. When you purchase an effective level, your class (can't already be 20th level) goes up one level. For instance, if you have a 10th level wizard class, among your other classes, your wizard goes up 1 in spellcasting, gains his spells and any other class abilities. However, you do not gain the skill points, hit points, base attack bonus increase or saving throws that normal come with said level. The ELH will have several more options available.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
kreynolds is describing the FR system of epic level advancement. The ELH will not support this in any way, but will instead provide a (better) alternative system.

Fenris

Adventurer
I hope it will be better. Right now it would seem very restrictive. I mean theoretically a character should be able to hit 20th level then start leveling in other classes, but even discounting saves and hit points, you need skill points to justify say a post-20th level increase in the Rouge class. I suppose I will need to wait for the book. But why can't you be a 20th lvl fighter / 20th level Wizard and add all the BAB,saves etc. together (other than they say you can't). That is my question. What problems would that pose?

kreynolds

First Post
From the looks of it, you still earn BAB, though I'm not 100% certain. The way I have heard epic leveling described is that they had to design whole new classes to fit the system. So it should "feel" like you are leveling normally, though that may not be the case.

Skullfyre

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
You will be able to take more levels - the example on the Epic FAQ is 21st-level paladins. :)

Remember that once you hit that magical level(21) not to start making prank calls to Loki.

Artoomis

First Post
Fenris said:
I realize that there will be a book for Epic levels above 20th, but what problems would be caused by having character levels above 20th. If characters multiclass and have 3 different classes at 10th level, mechnically they work out fine, I suppose you would have to extrapolate the BAB table. But aside from a scaled EX table and the difficulty of matching up CR, what balance or game mechanics problem does this scenario present? This is not an immediate problem, I just don't wish to see limitations placed on a character for developement purposes. If someone wants to be the most powerful Mage in the world they currently have to single class, but wouldn't very powerful villans and heros have high levels in many classes? Thank you for your thoughts.

On topic:

To actually answer your question:

If you allwo a multiclass character to advance past 20th chaacter level using regular rules, that's all well and good, but what will you do with a single class character?

I suppose you could require them to multicass, but that doesn't really seem fair. I see that as the biggest single problem.

Other problems are mostly game philosophy, I think.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Re: Re: Question on levels above 20th

Artoomis said:
what will you do with a single class character?

I suppose you could require them to multicass, but that doesn't really seem fair. I see that as the biggest single problem.

That's why there are more levels of existing classes - 11th level assassins and 21st level paladins will both be possible, so I assume all of the core PC and core prestige classes will be extended.

Remove ads