D&D 5E question on lower level spells in higher level slots

aco175

Legend
I rule it as a higher level spell so if you want to counterspell a 7th level magic missile, you need to use a 7th level slot or succeed on you caster check.
Similar to another thread about dispel magic- Would you rule that the viewer knows that the magic missile is being upcast to know that he needs an upcasted dispel?

As for the OP, I always thought it would become a 7th level spell instead of using a 7th level slot.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Similar to another thread about dispel magic- Would you rule that the viewer knows that the magic missile is being upcast to know that he needs an upcasted dispel?
No, I think that's too much information. Counterspell needs to be risky.

As for the OP, I always thought it would become a 7th level spell instead of using a 7th level slot.

That's my reading too. Or more specifically, they are synonymous; 7th level spell = 7th level slot. A 7th level spell cast with a 9th level slot IS a 9th level spell.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I ask because I caught a live stream of a high level game, where the DM ruled the exact opposite (a magic missile upcast to 7th level had no effect on a monster immune to 6th and lower level spells). Pretty sure that was incorrect, but am I missing something?
That sounds to me like the DM was remembering rules from 3e where metamatic (other than Heighten Spell) increased the slot but not the level of the spell. With the info from the PH, I'd say that a 1st level spell cast in a 7th level slot is a 7th level spell.

And then Globe of Invulnerability comes along to screw the simplicity of that understanding. That said, I don't see a lot of other descriptions of similar powers (like the rakshasa) that include that specific text about a lower-level spell cast in a higher level slot still being blocked. At this point, I'd strongly consider that being a particular, unique perk of the globe of invulnerability spell. That's the simplest way to handle this. If they wanted that behavior to be the default, they'd have written it as a more general rule or incorporate that into powers like the rakshasa's.

aco175

Legend
Pretty easy. You'd see the number of darts
This may lead to a discussion about when do you actually dispel a spell. I tend to think that you see someone casting a spell and then you are able to stop it from being cast in the first place. I can also see this where the spell is coming at you and you can make it go away before it hits you.

Gorg

Explorer
This may lead to a discussion about when do you actually dispel a spell. I tend to think that you see someone casting a spell and then you are able to stop it from being cast in the first place. I can also see this where the spell is coming at you and you can make it go away before it hits you.
Well, the easiest way to block a Magic Missile spell is to cast shield. Which is now a reaction, not a full action. Specifically blocks Magic Missiles. Wouldn't THAT irritate the Wizard who blew a precious 8th level slot to upcast it?! Works even better, if you're a high enough level Abjurer that you can extend your protective ward to other people.

Remove ads