Question re annis hag crushing hug

Volund

Explorer
Some creatures, when they hit with an attack, will do damage and also impose the grappled condition. Often there is a size limit on the grapple. My question is about the specific wording of the annis hag's Crushing Hug.

Hit: 36 (9d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 15) if it is a Large or smaller creature.

So, does the Large or smaller requirement apply just to the grapple or to the damage as well?

I looked at other creatures with similar attacks, such as the chuul and glabrezu. From the glabrezu's Pincer attack:

Hit: 16 (2d10 + 5) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a Medium or smaller creature, it is grappled (escape DC 15).

For the glabezru, it is clear that the creature takes the damage regardless of size. The chuul's pincer attack is written the same way. Does the different phrasing for the annis hag indicate a different intent from the glabezru or not? I think they are supposed to work the same way. A huge creature would get the crushing damage but it wouldn't be grappled. What say you?

Why does it matter? Trust me, with one group I play in it matters. :erm:

Remove ads