Questions a/b Fighter builds

Gort

Explorer
Hah, play in an evil campaign, then - holy weapons are nowhere near as good, since half the time you fight good people! Ditto unholy weapons, since you often fight other evil people...

hong

WotC's bitch
Darklone said:
Eeeks, holy weapons. I walked on hands till now to keep these thingies out of my game.
Oh, it all balances out. The good guys get holy, the bad guys get unholy (and humanbane). Of course, I used imbued magic house rules, so I don't have to worry so much about all this loot falling into the wrong/right hands....

If you're playing at high levels, Ftr2/Pal6/Cav X is a scary, scary mounted build. Not only do you get two fighter bonus feats, insane mounted combat bonuses and 5x damage on a charge with a lance, but you also get a Paladin's mount, which can be a Griffon or Dire Lion, a scary combatant in its own right.

TWF can work well for a swashbuckler. Go Rapier and TWF, get weapon finesss, and with fighting defensively, expertise, and tumble bonuses, you can set yourself up to be in position for that deadly 5 attack+sneak attack combo while still surviving everybody attacking you. If you can boost you AC up to the point where it takes a roll of 15+ to hit you, you're basically safe from standard melee attacks. Watch out for trips, grapples, and disarms however.

Sword and Board can also work, as there are lots of good feats in CW that make fighting with a shield extremely sick.

Finally, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my favorite combo: Size Large +2-Handed Weapon. Size large gives a lot of considerable advantages to a fighter, and the massive reach of an Ogre or Minotaur with a Glaive should not be over looked. If you can manage the stats, get Improved Trip, Combat reflexes, and a decent Dex and just lay into people. Trip builds are pretty scary, and they're even scarier when they have have an effective +12 to str compared to a similarly base statted human. Centuars are also good. In general, a level of Monsterous Humanoid is almost as good as one of fighter, and many MHs are large, have good stats, and are only ECL +2.

Hope this helps.

Remove ads