Questions - Attacking while 'Blind'

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
(i.e. Attacker blindfolds self for fighting creature with gaze attack)

Questions
1. The Defender gets total Concealment 50/50 right?
2. The Attacker loses Dex Bonus and an additional -2 to AC.
2.a. Are attacks on the Attacker considered Sneak Attacks for the Rogues?
3. The Attacker gets -2 to their hit rolls right?

4. What else am I missing?

In the above the Attacker in question does have Blindfighting, but I need to know the penalties without for some other party members as well.

Infiniti2000

First Post
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
2a. Yes.
3. No. There is no penalty for the attack roll.
4. The attacker cannot take attacks of opportunity against concealed opponents (which would be everyone). He also moves at half speed and thus cannot take a 5ft-step (big penalty AFAIC). There are various skill/ability check penalties.

The above answers change for a person with Blind-Fight.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Infiniti2000 said:
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
2a. Yes.
4. The attacker cannot take attacks of opportunity against concealed opponents (which would be everyone). He also moves at half speed and thus cannot take a 5ft-step (big penalty AFAIC). There are various skill/ability check penalties.

The above answers change for a person with Blind-Fight.

Thank you,
So what are the changes with Blind-Fight?

Infiniti2000

First Post
Changes with respect to Blind-Fight.

1. Yes, but rolled twice. You could treat this as 25% miss chance.
2. Yes. No.
2a. Yes. No.
4. The attacker cannot take attacks of opportunity against concealed opponents (which would be everyone). He also moves at half three quarters speed and thus cannot take a 5ft-step (big penalty AFAIC). There are various skill/ability check penalties.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Wow, I never knew that you couldn't make a 5' step while blind. How did I miss that? Does this also happen if you are in total darkness?

shilsen

Adventurer
RigaMortus2 said:
Wow, I never knew that you couldn't make a 5' step while blind. How did I miss that? Does this also happen if you are in total darkness?
Yes. Any time you are restricted to half speed, you cannot take a 5 ft step. It's covered in the PHB glossary under "half speed".

I'd say that's in the list of rules a lot of people don't know about.

Peter Gibbons

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
Yes.
Player's Handbook (page 144) said:
You can only take a 5-foot step if your movement isn't hampered by difficult terrain (see page 148) or darkness.

Last edited:

The Souljourner

First Post
Wow, chalk me up as one who never knew about the 5' step in darkness. Definitely makes sense that you can't move tactically like that... I just didn't know there was a rule about it.

-The Souljourner

Infiniti2000

First Post
Difficult terrain is an area you should have fun with. Since you can't take a 5ft-step in such areas, it really changes the way combat runs (for the better IMO, because it makes tactical positioning much more interesting). If you have an uneven flagstone floor, for instance, the characters are moving in hampered terrain and cannot take 5ft-steps at all. Note that to move more quickly than normal, they have to do so as a Move Action. Check out the other types of floors, particularly obstacles. It would be reasonable to treat a crowded tavern (crowded by tables and chairs or even people) as "dense rubble".

RigaMortus2

First Post
You can only take a 5-foot step if your movement isn't hampered by difficult terrain (see page 148) or darkness.

Hmmm, but blindness is not darkness, right?

What about fog? What about moving through water? Against heavy winds? Can you take a 5 foot step in those situations?

Remove ads