D&D 5E Questions regarding the SRD and OGL

Revan79

First Post
A friend and myself are writing an adventure set in Forgotten realms and we recently read that certain Monsters such as Slaadi are not covered by the OPG (Open Gaming Licence).

Is this currently still teh case or did I see old information from the 3.5 OGL?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this need clarifying.
Thanks

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The content covered by the OGC can be found in the SRD. Just look at the SRD and if the content you want to use is in it, it's in it.

The Forgotten Realms, you'll quickly notice, is not in it.

For bonus points, you can use *any* SRD for an OGL game, including 5E and 3.5. If it was once declared open, it's open forever.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Quickleaf

Legend
A friend and myself are writing an adventure set in Forgotten realms and we recently read that certain Monsters such as Slaadi are not covered by the OPG (Open Gaming Licence).

Is this currently still teh case or did I see old information from the 3.5 OGL?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this need clarifying.
Thanks

First read this: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

Then refer to the 4th paragraph here: http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SRD-OGL_V5.1.pdf

The following items are designated Product Identity, as defined in Section 1(e) of the Open Game License Version 1.0a, and are subject to the conditions set forth in Section 7 of the OGL, and are not Open Content: Dungeons & Dragons, D&D, Player’s Handbook, Dungeon Master, Monster Manual, d20 System, Wizards of the Coast, d20 (when used as a trademark), Forgotten Realms, Faerûn, proper names (including those used in the names of spells or items), places, Underdark, Red Wizard of Thay, the City of Union, Heroic Domains of Ysgard, Ever-­‐‑ Changing Chaos of Limbo, Windswept Depths of Pandemonium, Infinite Layers of the Abyss, Tarterian Depths of Carceri, Gray Waste of Hades, Bleak Eternity of Gehenna, Nine Hells of Baator, Infernal Battlefield of Acheron, Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus, Peaceable Kingdoms of Arcadia, Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia, Twin Paradises of Bytopia, Blessed Fields of Elysium, Wilderness of the Beastlands, Olympian Glades of Arborea, Concordant Domain of the Outlands, Sigil, Lady of Pain, Book of Exalted Deeds, Book of Vile Darkness, beholder, gauth, carrion crawler, tanar’ri, baatezu, displacer beast, githyanki, githzerai, mind flayer, illithid, umber hulk, yuan-­‐‑ti.

It's interesting that slaadi are not on that list anymore; I believe they were in the d20 SRD?

Quickleaf

Legend
Just looked at it. Nope!

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

That's really weird...

"According to wikipedia" (famous last words), which cites http://www.d20srd.org/faq.htm....

Because they were created by a D&D player (and their copyrights transferred to TSR and, subsequently, Wizards of the Coast), slaadi are one of only a handful of D&D monsters considered "Product Identity" by Wizards of the Coast and, as such, are not released under its Open Gaming License.[3]

[3] "Frequently Asked Questions". D20srd.org. Retrieved 2007-02-23.

Q: Why are some monsters missing from this site?
A: The following monsters are considered "Product Identity" by Wizards of the Coast and are therefore not part of the SRD:

beholder
gauth
carrion crawler
displacer beast
githyanki
githzerai
kuo-toa
mind flayer
slaad
umber hulk
yuan-ti

A reminder. It you're writing an adventure for publication set in the Forgotten Realms then it HAS to be on DMsGuild and nowhere else.

For DMsGuild, a different license is used other than the OGL, and you can use both the setting and slaadi in your adventure. No fee from WotC other than a 50% cut of whatever you earn from sales.

Remove ads