Quests From The Infinite Staircase

D&D 5E Quests From The Infinite Staircase

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
These are all pre-Planescape. At the time of publication a planar adventure was hopping over to Gamma World or Boot Hill, not galivanting around the Great Wheel cosmology. Much more like the Marvel multiverse that is familiar to modern D&D players.
Planescape was 2e. The great wheel was 1e, with one of the great 1e art pictures being A Paladin in Hell. Gamma World and Boot Hill were alternate prime material planes, and so weren't really planar adventures at all.

I know from my experience that DMs were creating true planar adventures in Hell, the Abyss and other planes during 1e. Now, it was much harder to go plane hopping in 1e than it is in 3e-5e, but it happened and in official products. And let's not forget Queen of the Demon Web Pits, which took the party to the Abyss. And The Throne of Bloodstone that also went to the Abyss. Ravenloft 1e which was on another plane(demiplane). There was also Tales of the Outer Planes which were short adventures on other planes. I'm sure there were others.

Remove ads