• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick Draw; Pointless?

Pinotage

Explorer
Thanee said:
The worst "downside" of Quick Draw IMHO is the existance of gloves of storing.

Bye
Thanee

The 3.5e pricing has at least alleviated this somewhat. At 20000 gp for two gloves, it'll take a while before you can afford that, given other items such as weapons and armor that will be more favourable to acquire. Still, I agree that Quickdraw isn't so useful when 20000 gp becomes trivial (for a two-weapon fighter).

Pinotage

Tyrol

First Post
Quickdraw is also extremely useful on monsters that destroy/dissolve weapons (Black Pudding!), or should a weapon be disarmed or sundered. It is definitely great if you have to fight a black pudding though, (and can afford losing the bludgeoning weapons). ;)

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Thanee said:
Be it as it may. Quick Draw is (like all feats) not for everyone, but there certainly are some character concepts, which greatly benefit from the ability.

If your character concept includes Quick Draw, then I would see Gloves of Storing as an opportunity rather than a detriment. It sure is nice to be able to maximize offense without dropping your favorite weapons on the ground.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
In that case, the big upside would be the existence of +6 gloves of dexterity....

Thanee said:
Be it as it may. Quick Draw is (like all feats) not for everyone, but there certainly are some character concepts, which greatly benefit from the ability.

Bye
Thanee

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Ridley's Cohort said:
If your character concept includes Quick Draw, then I would see Gloves of Storing as an opportunity rather than a detriment. It sure is nice to be able to maximize offense without dropping your favorite weapons on the ground.

Oh, heck, yeah.

If you drop a weapon, it's an unattended object, and liable to be fireballed.

I've also used the gloves and Quickdraw to make an attack routine, store the super-expensive sword in my glove, and then whip out a cheaper weapon so I'm not unarmed, and thumb my nose at the klurichur I just attacked ("Hah! Try and sunder my nice sword NOW!")

Brad

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
We have a Rogue, once, who tried to Quick Draw a bedroll. Sure, it isn't allowed, but it was funny at 2am. "Ready for bed, guys!"

tensen

First Post
Kalem said:
Isn't that DM's discretion?

I think he meant due to the partial action in a surprise phase. With quick drawn and a thrown weapon you could draw it and attack, without quick draw, you could step and draw, but not attack.

Of course if the opponent is 5 foot away and you are using a normal melee weapon... neither one gets the attack since you either step in and draw... or draw and step in... doesn't make much difference.

With ranged weapons... The drawing of the weapon and attacking during the surprise phase is kind of important.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads