Quick draw?

Numion

First Post
Quick draw is probably most useful for two-weapon fighters. When they close in, draw only one weapon wielding it in two hands, and you get 1.5xSTR bonus to damage instead of 1xSTR.

Next round you quick draw the other blade and make full attack. The feat isn't too useful THW fighters, who keep their weapons in hand all the time anyway...

Skaros

First Post
It is also useful in the surprise round, for those of you with good enough spot/listen checks to get to act.

Nice not to have to spend your surprise round doing nothing more than moving and drawing a weapon.

Even if you keep your weapon in hand all the time, its nice to be able to quickly switch weapons when instead of seeing your foe off in the distance he is spotted only 30 feet away, and you'd rather quickly switch from bow to greatsword for a partial charge.

-Skaros

Davelozzi

Explorer
Another reason is that it's a prerequisite for at least one other feat: Flick of the Wrist, which I think is from Sword & Fist and may be the same or similar to one of the Iajatsu feats in Oriental Adventures.

jontherev

First Post
Flick of the Wrist isn't that great imo. It gives you one extra sneak attack per COMBAT. Not bad, just nothing to write home about. It gets a little better if you interpret once per combat as 'once per opponent', but my rogue will still not take it. YMMV.

I am debating on whether to take Quickdraw though. It's usefulness is diminished somewhat if you have the Haversack. Any bludgeoning weapon can go in there and takes a free action to draw. I wish Quickdraw also worked for sheathing weapons so it would make my decision easier.:D

How the feat is useful is if you are a two weapon fighter and can also cast spells. You keep one weapon in your hand at all times. If you need to throw a bola or halfling skiprock, just grab them from your haversack with no need of the feat. BUT, what's cool is that if someone charges you, you'll be ready the next round with both weapons for a full attack action (drawing your other piercing/slashing weapon via quickdraw before attacking). Also, you can keep one hand free for spell casting purposes...until you need to fight!

Joust

First Post
IIRC, if your BAB is +1 or higher, you can draw your weapon as a free action as part of your movement. Is this accurate?

What if your 10th level fighter is unarmed and wants to use the full attack action. Can he draw a weapon and get all his attacks, or is drawing the weapon a MEA?

WaterRabbit

Explorer
Joust said:
IIRC, if your BAB is +1 or higher, you can draw your weapon as a free action as part of your movement. Is this accurate?

What if your 10th level fighter is unarmed and wants to use the full attack action. Can he draw a weapon and get all his attacks, or is drawing the weapon a MEA?

Drawing the weapon is a MEA unless you have the Quickdraw feat. So your 10th level fighter cannot use the full attack action UNLESS he has the Quickdraw feat.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Glove of Storing in my opinion is the best substitute for Quick draw... at 2200 a glove thats dirt cheap for a feat substitute. There is errata for the Glove indicating its a free action.

Dr_Rictus

First Post
To elaborate on WaterRabbit's post, the rule specifically is that with BAB of +1 or higher you can combine drawing a weapon with a regular move. Not as part of "your movement" or any other such language which could make it seem as if you could do it during a 5' step. As part of a move. If you take a move, you don't get a full attack.

jontherev

First Post
Rashak Mani said:
Glove of Storing in my opinion is the best substitute for Quick draw... at 2200 a glove thats dirt cheap for a feat substitute. There is errata for the Glove indicating its a free action.

I'd forgotten about that. But you'd really need two gloves to be nearly as effective as the feat imo. Otherwise, you'd probably only use the glove once per combat, which might be enough for some combatants. With two handy, you have more options though. But I'd still carry a haversack for the bludgeoning weapons and other stuff.

Remove ads