Quick poll about concentration

Answer this question for the last caster character you played: For your most recent 3 game sessions,

• I never had to make any, so zero.

Votes: 9 16.1%

Votes: 11 19.6%

Votes: 13 23.2%

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • 3 or more

Votes: 17 30.4%

Darkcloud

First Post
If you are not positive, just put your best guess. This will help me answer one half of my overall question about character priorities.

Note: getting the poll function to work as intended was tricky in the past. Hopefully I won't screw it up.

Edit Note: The poll cut off the rest of the question: "Answer this question for the last caster character you played: For your most recent 3 game sessions, how many times did you fail a concentration check?"

Sorry for the confusion. I tried to make sure I had everything right by copying and pasting, but the complete "paste" was cut off.

Last edited:

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I put down 3+, because it happens quite often when I'm DM'ing 5e. However, those 3+ could very well have been in one encounter. Last time I remember calling for one was a caster who was trying to maintain a spell but he was getting buffeted around in a vortex of wind and debris...no damage was occurring (nothing significant...no HP loss, in other words). But, seeing as it was chaotic, he was getting turned upside down and whatnot, things bouncing around/off him (dirt, twigs, etc), and rain...I figured it needed a Concentration check. I think he made all of them and maintained the spell. It was memorable because the Concentration rule really showed it's worth for creating a story/narrative situation that was tied to the game rules directly. It was exciting and unexpected...and the hero came out as a bad ass for maintaining concentration via gritting his teeth and powering through it. It was a cool scene. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Darkcloud

First Post
Hiya!

I put down 3+, because it happens quite often when I'm DM'ing 5e.
^_^

Paul L. Ming
I was looking at data for playing a character: "the last caster character you played". When you put down results for the whole party it kinda throws things off.

Lall, I was wondering how many you failed in three game sessions, regardless of the number of checks. Thanks for asking.

Shiroiken

Legend
My current wizard has been lacking his spellbook and focus, as he was introduced as a prisoner, so my spells have been fairly limited. I only have Detect Magic and Flaming Sphere as concentration spells, and I don't have the components for FS.

My previous spellcaster, a Grassland Druid, probably failed about 1 Concentration check every session or so. Druid is odd, because they have a LOT of concentration spells, and they get in the front fairly often. I tried not to have any concentration spells up when in melee, but sometimes needed to anyway. Against a large mob of enemies, I would try to use Moonbeam (my best AoE), but the sheer number of checks would eventually cause a failure. Once I failed one in a combat, I don't like to cast another if I can avoid it.

Last edited:

My current PC is a 9th-level diviner. I haven't failed any in the last three sessions, but he has Con 16, Resilient (Con), and does his best to stay out of the fray.

The spell casters that have run in my campaign have tended to take very few concentration spells, one or maybe two - they figure take the most useful since I can only have one no point taking too many. Not really convinced this makes sense as the most useful aren't always useful. However it is up to them.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I play a Halfling Lore Bard occasionally.
She almost never gets hit while she has a concentration spell running. That's due to a combination of staying in cover (taller allies make for great meatshields), and using all the Bard things like Cutting Words and Vicious Mockery to her advantage.

ccs

41st lv DM
Change my answer from 3+ to zero.
I missed seeing in your post that you were looking for how many times I'd failed.

I had to make several checks each session. I succeeded on all of them.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I was looking at data for playing a character: "the last caster character you played". When you put down results for the whole party it kinda throws things off.
Lall, I was wondering how many you failed in three game sessions, regardless of the number of checks. Thanks for asking.

Don't worry...there was only one caster in the group (Wizard...could have been Sorcerer though...it was about a year ago). So just think of me "voting for him" because he's not on this site anyway. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Remove ads