Quick question about staffs

Moab2

First Post
OK, I have a few things I need assistance with, but they all depend on the answer to one simple question: Can a wizard of level 3 or higher have his familiar deliver a touch spell that he casts from a staff? I checked the SRD, but I can't find an answer. I know in Forge of Fury a duergar wizard is allowed to have his familiar deliver a touch spell that he casts from a scroll, but I can see how scrolls and staffs might differ in this.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Patlin

Explorer
Sometimes things are done in modules or by DMs that aren't strictly speaking in accordance with the rules.

srd said:
If the master is 3rd level or higher, a familiar can deliver touch spells for him. If the master and the familiar are in contact at the time the master casts a touch spell, he can designate his familiar as the "toucher." The familiar can then deliver the touch spell just as the master could. As usual, if the master casts another spell before the touch is delivered, the touch spell dissipates.

The official 3.5 Faq said:
Can a spectral hand spell deliver a touch spell from a
staff or wand? What about from a scroll?
No. The spell delivered by spectral hand must be one that
you cast. Activating a magic item is not the same as casting a
spell, even if the effect is virtually identical.

I'd go with the quote from the FAQ on this one. You have to cast the spell, not activate a magic item for the familiar to deliver it.

Remove ads