D&D 5E Quick question - tool that allows me to plan a character from levels 1-20?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I'm looking to play around with some character builds suggested in this thread.

Is there a good online tool out there that allows me to build a character from 1-20? So I can see all the steps as I go?

Maybe D&D Beyond does this? It's not touted on their website as a feature.

I haven't bit the bullet yet on DnDB; but this and the Encounter Builder may be the straw that broke the wallet's back as it were...

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
1596430115959.png

I'm not really kidding, I plan all my characters the old fashioned way.

tommybahama

Adventurer
You can export the character to a PDF at each level on Dndbeyond. For Roll20 you can just export them to your character vault after each level. You don't have to buy anything if you don't mind typing it all in manually.

R_J_K75

Legend
View attachment 124406

I'm not really kidding, I plan all my characters the old fashioned way.

When I had or get the opportunity to play thats how I did it. Otherwise alot of times youre left with a PC sheet with alot of information that you dont know what it does. If Im pretty familiar with the rules Ill use a generator but the only true test is to create the character and play it.

dave2008

Legend
I'm looking to play around with some character builds suggested in this thread.

Is there a good online tool out there that allows me to build a character from 1-20? So I can see all the steps as I go?

Maybe D&D Beyond does this? It's not touted on their website as a feature.

I haven't bit the bullet yet on DnDB; but this and the Encounter Builder may be the straw that broke the wallet's back as it were...
I believe DnDBeyond can do that and @tommybahama seems to agree. I have more for DM things, but a good portion of the functionality is free. I'm not sure if that includes the character builder.

EDIT: It looks like the character builder is free to you can try it out and see if you like it. I think you would have to buy content that is not in the basic rules though.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I just build them up in Excel, but if you don't have the books or want to do the figures yourself, then DnDBeyond is probably your best bet.

J-H

Hero
DNDB does it. The guy running our current campaign has all the content, so I've been creating new characters to play with ideas, leveling them up, and then deleting them.

No idea what that does to DNDB's character/user stats.....

Oofta

Legend
I use DndBeyond for this. It does help that I'm the owner of the account for our groups, I can create as many PCs as I want. If you're using someone else's account (or the free version) you might be limited in number of characters you can create.

I don't use if very often because I don't really like thinking that far ahead, but I can either copy the PC if I want or export the pdf for future reference.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I just build them up in Excel, but if you don't have the books or want to do the figures yourself, then DnDBeyond is probably your best bet.
I would be interested in an Excel tool that does this. Or do you just track each change you make as you go?

Remove ads