• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Quick rules question] Gaining a creature's Spell Resistance?

Maudlin

First Post
I was a little surprised to see that Spell Resistance is an Extraordinary ability... does that mean you can gain any creatures' spell resistance with something like a Shapechange spell? Sounds powerful.

Seems straightforward in the spell description, but then it's hard to keep track of errata :)

Thanks.

Maudlin:

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread but I have related questions about ShapeChange.

First: By the book, yes you do receive the SR. The PHB specifically mentions that dragons are a viable form for ShapeChange (including unique dragons) and they have SR listed as (Ex).

The spell overall is rather confusing (IMO) as it states "As Polymorph Other except ...". It then lists so many differences, it's nothing like Polymorph Other (even the pre-errata version).

The spell also states that any creature short of Diety status is permissible. Does this include Outsiders? Eg. Solars- (SR 32 immune to cold, electricity, acid, petrifaction - all of which are Extraordinary abilities) .

Does it include Constructs? I think so, since you can change into a huge chunk of steel.

Does the 15 HD limit apply (implied from P.O.)? Kind of contradicts the "including unique" creatures and "anything short of Diety" forms which are explicitly allowed.

I, too, am unaware of any errata or even indepth discussions regarding this spell. All help would be appreciated.

Tempuswolf

First Post
Maudlin,

Yes, 9th level Shapechange does grant Spell Resistance since it is an extraordinary ability.

Andor,

"...Any single creature of less than diety status... or any single object" only restricted to being "no smaller than a flea and no larger than 200 feet in its largest dimension" would include most outsiders and constructs, and a great many things with more than 15 hit dice.

The most important restriction, though, is still in place: the caster must be familiar with the creature or object. This restraint should keep the player and DM on the same page, no Demon Type X s, no 200 ft. lead weights, etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads