• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick Tarrasque Question.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I was re-reading the SRD on the Tarrasque (trying to picture it in clown makeup) and I was wondering, is the Tarrasque subject to the effects of Drowning as much as any other creature?

Granted, such a high CON score means a lot of rounds holding one's breath (70 rounds/7 minutes), than the CON check every round after would eventually exceed the Tarrasque's ability to make (after another 55 rounds he can't roll 20 and survive).

So, if the Tarrasque was submerged under water for 13 minutes, is it guaranteed to drop it's HP to 0 and unconsciousness, than drown?

xigbar I assume is referring to the bit of it where the writer says it would not be unreasonable for the tarasque to drink an entire lake, as it can disproportionally eat a town. That said, officialy it can drown like anything else

The easiest way I can think of to beat it is surround it by wall of force, one on each side of it stops it moving, then just break it apart with long range fire power.

the Jester

Legend
The problem with drowning it is it won't stay dead without that miracle/wish. Also, you have to deal tons of damage to it first before the miracle/wish will 'take.' So drowning + wish alone is insufficient.

Prince Atom

Explorer
You DID do tons of damage. You took it from full HP down to 0.

Does that count, though?

Is it possible for someone to keep going after they've started drowning by using massive amounts of cure spells to pop them back up to positive hit points every time they drop to 0 (i.e., every round)?

If it is possible to suck down cure spells like that and keep staving off drowning, then drowning is hit point damage. If you can't, then drowning isn't hit point damage and doesn't count for purposes of killing the Tarrasque.

I don't have my books with me, but is it enough to batter the Tarrasque down to 0 hit points, or do you have to get it down to a specific negative hit point total? I can't remember. I think in 2E you had to get it into fully negative hit points (do twice its HP to it in damage) and then wish it dead.

Sekhmet

First Post
Drowning reduces the target to -1 HP.
The Tarrasque can only be killed by reducing it to -10 and then using Wish or Miracle.

Drowning does not reduce the Tarrasque to the necessary amount of "deadness" to use a Wish or Miracle on it, although the Dying condition could potentially drop him to -10, assuming he fails all of his checks.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
As per Drowning Rules:

If you maintain holding your breath, you suffer no HP damage. you could be at 100% full.

Once you fail the CON check for holding your breath, in that round you're dropped to 0HP and unconscious.

In the next round, you're -1 and dying.

In the third round, you've Drowned, which as I understand it = -10 dead.

Nezkrul

First Post
Epic Paragon, Half-Force Dragon, Multi-headed, Phrenic Tarrasque advanced to maximum hitdice for it's entry (fun times)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads