• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick Tarrasque Question.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I'm curious: How would you go about moving a Force Cage or Force Wall, with or without a Spelljammer? They're immovable (which is what allows you to use them block or trap the Tarrasque).

You can build force effects into items, they need not be immovable, but that's a DM's call. Still, a force trap is a good way to stop a tarrasque, and drowning is the only quick way I know to incapacitate one. Once it is knocked out, you can attack it at will...

Greenfield

Adventurer
Look at the size limit on a Gate spell ("from 5 to 20 feet in diameter, caster's choice").

Next, look at the size of the Tarrasque ("70 feet long and 50 feet high, and it weighs about 130 tons")

Now you could Widen the Gate to a 40 foot diameter, but in either case the only way to get the Tarrasque through would be if he wants to go through.

Similarly, Plane Shift allows you to shift up to eight willing persons. So again, it you need it to want to go, and you need it to somehow qualify as a "person", a more arguable restriction.

Sort of like the old joke that asks "How many Psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb? Answer: Just one, but it has to want to change." :)

Empirate

First Post
Actually, Plane Shift has "creature touched, or up to eight willing creatures joining hands". So you could easily (well... you know what I mean) Plane Shift the Tarrasque to the Positive Energy Plane and have it die by awesome!

the Jester

Legend
What would it take to Plane Shift, Gate or otherwise transport The Tarrasque from the Material Plane to the Elemental Plane of Water?

Look at the size limit on a Gate spell ("from 5 to 20 feet in diameter, caster's choice").

Next, look at the size of the Tarrasque ("70 feet long and 50 feet high, and it weighs about 130 tons")

I am thinking epic magic would be a viable solution.

Actually, Plane Shift has "creature touched, or up to eight willing creatures joining hands". So you could easily (well... you know what I mean) Plane Shift the Tarrasque to the Positive Energy Plane and have it die by awesome!

Hmm, interesting approach!

I actually think this would make it relatively easy to finish the tarrasque off, if done right and given a house rule in play... Here's how I see it.

3.5 DMG said:
Major positive-dominant planes go even further.... Simply being on the plane grants fast healing 5 as an extraordinary ability. In addition, those at full hit points gain 5 additional temporary hit points per round.... However, a creature must make a DC 20 Fortitude save each round that its temporary hit points exceed its normal hit point total. Failing the saving throw results in the creature exploding in a riot of energy, killing it.

First of all, by RAW, a natural 1 is an automatic failure only on attacks, so it will never fail this saving throw (its Fort bonus is +38). But with the very common house rule that it fails, or assuming some sort of major effect to reduce its saving throws by like -20 or something until it finally does fail, what happens?

Okay- so we've established that a lethal effect that doesn't deal damage simply increases the tarrasque's nonlethal damage total to its full normal hit points + 10. So that's what the "pop" will do to it.

Unfortunately, it's simultaneously got both fast healing 5 (from the plane itself) and regeneration 40 (from being the tarrasque). This means that its nonlethal total drops by 45 every round, and any actual damage it has drops by 5 per round as well.

So let's say that the tarrasque enters the positive energy plane with its full 858 hps. Again, assuming that nobody is messing with it- after 172 rounds, its temporary hit points are at 860 and it starts making saving throws. For the sake of argument, let's say that it fails immediately.

Now Big T has 858 hps, 860 temporary hps and has taken 868 nonlethal damage. He's not even unconscious- because those temporary hps stack right on top of his normal hit points until they go away. They're normal hit points!

3.5 PH said:
When a character gains temporary hit points, note his current hit point total. When the temporary hit points go away, such as at the end of the aid spell's duration, the character's hit points drop to his current hit point total. If the character's ht points are below his current hit point total at that time, all the temporary hit points have already been lost and the character's hit point total does not drop further.

Note again the wording of the tarrasque's "can't kill me!" regeneration:

3.5 MM said:
If the tarrasque fails a save against a spell or effect that would kill it instantly (such as those mentioned above), the spell or effect instead deals damage equal to the creature's full normal hit points +10 (or 868 hp).

This doesn't even account for the temporary hit points! So we have a supercharged, rampaging tarrasque!

HOWEVER, there is a HUGE bright side:

3.5 MM said:
The tarrasque can only be slain by raising its nonlethal damage to its full normal hit points +10 (or 868) and using a wish or miracle to keep it dead.

So you don't actually have to render it unconscious to kill it, you just need to be there when the positive energy in it "pops" and have your wish or miracle handy! But you have to time things well, since its nonlethal damage drops by 45 on its turn and never exceeds 868; when it pops, you only have until the start of its next turn to use that wish/miracle.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Since the Tarrasque has really good spell resistance and saves, Plane Shift itself is unlikely to be effective.

I'm thinking a good Portal from the Faerun series would be in order. Simply touching the portal (Think Stargate) triggers the effect to transport the creature or object to the other side. The portal needs to be large enough to fit the creature through, so REALLY BIG, but not affected by spell resistance or saves. Making a portal one way would deposit the Tarrasque on the Plane or Water, Positive Energy plane (although I fear that it would survive off Positive energy and things would go badly for the rest of the multiverse) or wherever else you'd want it to go.

Greenfield

Adventurer
The Jester said:
First of all, by RAW, a natural 1 is an automatic failure only on attacks, so it will never fail this saving throw (its Fort bonus is +38). But with the very common house rule that it fails, or assuming some sort of major effect to reduce its saving throws by like -20 or something until it finally does fail, what happens?
That point got me thinking. It didn't sound right.

SRD said:
Automatic Failures and Successes: A natural 1 (the d20 comes up 1) on a saving throw is always a failure (and may cause damage to exposed items; see Items Surviving after a Saving Throw). A natural 20 (the d20 comes up 20) is always a success.
So yes, a "natural 1" is an automatic failure on attacks, but also on Saving throws.

It's Skill checks where a 1 isn't an automatic failure and a 20 isn't an automatic success.

Yeah, it's a minor nit to pick, but I do that. But you did call it right on Plane Shift. The target doesn't have to be willing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads