Quintessence - What is it good for?

No its a waste of space unless your hong and really value a fresh lunch. All the oh you can preserve a body like if thoughts could kill or what not are bogus. You make a droplet of the stuff for every 7pp, you probably couldn't coat your sandwhich with the stuff. To coat a person you have to shoot your entire load of PP so what after a bunch of rounds of forming gunk and feeling up a comrade he's frozen in time, whooo-hoo.
In reality, a container of sun-protectant lotion really doesn't take up that much space. How much volume do you need to coat a person? How many volumes thereof would fit in such a container? You do the math.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
A good point was brought up. How much do you need to coat something? It seems to imply that a single use of the power makes enough to coat a size Fine item, like a ring or a coin. So how many drops do you need to coat a Medium object like a body? And why wouldn't you just buy some Oil of Gentle Repose instead? How many months worth of fabrication would it take to get enough of this stuff to be even marginally useful...especially considering that if you have more than a little of it, it starts to play hell with your psionic powers.

If your party member dies, by the time you've made enough quintessence to preserve his body, he's already long been rotten and dried out. So...sandwich?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Well, let's see. It takes 16 applications to make a lb of the stuff. . . that's 16x7=112 pp. Let's say that by the time you're 11th lvl, you can make at least a lb of quintessence a day when you're not doing other stuff; as a result, you can fill a type 1 bag of holding in less than 3/4 of a year.

I dunno; there's got to be something.

Kelleris said:
How about a delayed blast fireball bead?
How about hundreds of them? Hey, you've got nothing to do for months but dump power points into Quintessence, why not have the mage spend all of his spell slots on DBFb while you're at it? It'll be like having a nuclear bomb in your portable hole.

hong

WotC's bitch
Tarrasque Wrangler said:
How about hundreds of them? Hey, you've got nothing to do for months but dump power points into Quintessence, why not have the mage spend all of his spell slots on DBFb while you're at it? It'll be like having a nuclear bomb in your portable hole.

If you know what I mean, and I think you do, BAY-BEE!

Thanee

First Post
Kelleris said:
How about a delayed blast fireball bead?

Quintessence only refers to objects, not to spell effects... so I guess the duration runs out as usual and then nothing would happen, if the bead was freed later.

Bye
Thanee

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
What about using it as a psionics dampener? If you're going up against an illithid, create satchels of the stuff with a tanglefoot bag attached to the outside. Toss it and SPLAT, it's glued to the mind flayer and hampering their psionics.

Yes, I know i'm stretching. Shut up.

Remove ads