D&D 5E Quintessential Starting Campaign for a group of new, young players.

I ran Frog God Games' The Wizard's Amulet last week. I'm running Dan Head's Mystery of Malvern Manor tonight. Both are good introductions to D&D. Both are also free.

I have bought N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God. I plan to run it later this year. It needs a bit of work to convert to 5E (work which I plan to shamelessly steal from sources on the net :).

Finally, the Starter Set adventure Lost Mine of Phandelver is, as other posters here have said, great. I am looking forward to running it in a few weeks.

delericho

Legend
Shattered Circle is great, though I'm not sure I'd use it as an intro for younger players necessarily. It's mostly dungeon crawl, whereas B2 or Phandelver sort of allow for a wider variety of stuff to do.

Good point. Then again, the same is true of "The Sunless Citadel", which is also 100% dungeon crawl, and I did run that for younger players with considerable success.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Good point. Then again, the same is true of "The Sunless Citadel", which is also 100% dungeon crawl, and I did run that for younger players with considerable success.

Doesn't have The Sunless Citadel at least a modicum of a village with a sketch map, whereas The Shattered Circle simply is "there"?

delericho

Legend
Doesn't have The Sunless Citadel at least a modicum of a village with a sketch map, whereas The Shattered Circle simply is "there"?

It's been a while since I looked at it, but I don't think so - I think there's a village named, but no map or any other details. Certainly, we started at the entrance to the dungeon and glossed over any return above-ground.

Truth is, I'm not sure how much we need to tailor the game for younger players anyway. My experience (which is admittedly both somewhat limited and a few years out of date) has been that younger players are quite capable of "getting it" pretty quickly anyway.

halfling rogue

Explorer
I started my kids (5, 7, 10) with the Lost Mine starter with no real tweaks for age. They did roll up characters rather than use the pregens though.

When I first started playing d&d, we started with The Shackled City but since there were a lot of new to dnd folks playing our DM just started us out in a tavern. Not sure if that was what we were supposed to do per the book, but it was really helpful for me to realize that a player could actually do anything. We spent a large portion of the session shooting black squirrels for their pelts...

SeventhSon

Explorer
Palace of the Silver Princess really is something you can't go back and play after you've done a more advanced module, like B2 (which is the second most introductory module out there). Palace reads like a choose your own adventure book, limiting options for the players. Good for a novice GM if a kid wants to run one someday, should you not use it.

Remove ads