QWIXX: Our Review; Top 10 D&D Settings of all time; Medieval Insults; and D&D Next class complexity!

EN World News Qwixx - Can this pocket-sized game deliver big-box entertainment? -- Award-nominated games often bring to mind beautiful production, deep gameplay and incredible experiences. This year's Spiel des Jahres bucked that idea in style, especially when they chose to shortlist Qwixx... Top Ten D&D Settings of ALL TIME! -- I'll save you the experience of one of my awesome countdown...

[h=3]EN World News[/h]
  • Qwixx - Can this pocket-sized game deliver big-box entertainment? -- Award-nominated games often bring to mind beautiful production, deep gameplay and incredible experiences. This year's Spiel des Jahres bucked that idea in style, especially when they chose to shortlist Qwixx...
  • Top Ten D&D Settings of ALL TIME! -- I'll save you the experience of one of my awesome countdown videos and present this one as an article. I asked folks on EN World and elsewhere what were their favourite official D&D settings of all time. You answered in the hundreds. Here's what you said! [HI][threadcm]http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?339870-Top-Ten-D-amp-D-Settings-of-ALL-TIME![/threadcm][/HI]
  • Organized Play: Can You Learn To Love It? -- As we continue to get ready for GenCon, lets look at the bright side of Organized Play programs. And we'll look at the seamy underbelly while we're at it. [HI][threadcm]http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?339875-Organized-Play-Can-You-Learn-To-Love-It[/threadcm][/HI]
  • How Does Your Barbarian Grow? -- As I [Southern Oracle] write this, the latest playtest packet for D&D Next has been out only a few days, so I haven’t had a lot of time to dissect it. However, I wanted to do a quick comparison, so I statted out a 1st-level human barbarian (we’ll name him Hrothgar), and then I advanced him to 20th level and compared the two. Here is my (albeit hasty and amateur) analysis…[HI] [threadcm]http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?339906-How-Does-Your-Barbarian-Grow[/threadcm][/HI]
  • Four Color to Fantasy (Revised) A decade ago, EN Publishing published 4CTF (Revised) a toolkit to allow you to add superheroes to your d20 Modern or your D&D 3.5 games (or, indeed any other d20-based game). It was pretty popular at the time - until the awesome M&M came out, at least! This toolkit was different to M&M, though - it was designed to allow you to add superheroes to an existing game, not as a standalone game of its own. Yes, as well as d20 Modern or Future, that included superheroes in D&D, such as Zidi, the Halfing Titan. Now, 4CTF is available to EN World subscribers. Remeber, subscribing costs about the same as a cup of coffee!
  • A couple of new generators I made in OGRE:
    • Medieval Insulter -- You mewling, rotten turtle-lover! A basic insulter, medieval style. Not as florid as some of the Shakespearian ones - keeping it simple for the peasants! Now get to it you tedious, rooting blaggart!
    • Star Trek Crowdmembers -- Fill up a Star Trek campaign's bar or street with a variety of folk.
    • Random Space Radio Chatter -- As the PCs' ship approaches the space station, they open radio frequencies and listen to the space traffic controller handling the various ships in the vicinity.

[h=3]Dungeons & Dragons News[/h]
  • Scaling Complexity -- Mike goes over class complexity in this week’s D&D Next playtest article. [HI][threadcm]http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?339905-08-05-2013-Legends-amp-Lore-Scaling-Complexity[/threadcm][/HI]

[h=3]RPG News[/h]
  • The final cover art for Parsantium: City at the Crossroad has been posted. The book will be published in November 2013 and is a city sourcebook compatible with all editions of D&D and Pathfinder.

[h=3]Community News[/h]
  • Harbinger of Doom has a post about the newest D&D Next playtest packet.
  • This week The Kyngdoms brings you the second of their weekly articles exploring the keyed areas of the city of Blackfen in the form of the Dragon's Claw Inn, a local establishment for farmers and farm hands, quiet during the days but heaving in the evenings!

[h=3]Boardgaming News[/h]
  • Days of Wonder has listed Relic Runners, a board game about jungle exploration and treasure hunting, as available for pre-order.
  • Matt Forbeck discusses some Mayfair Games events that will be taking place in and around GenCon including the Star Trek Catan Charity Tournament and the big block party that anyone can attend.
  • The first of the new Nightmare mode decks for Fantasy Flight Games Lord of the Rings LCG is now available. Nightmare mode, as you might expect, is a high difficulty specially designed format intended to challenge the most hardcore of LotR LCG players. The decks are being made available through FFG;s print on demand service.
  • FFG also announced their new Eldritch Horror board game. Set in the Cthulhu-verse and similar in concept to Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror takes the game global with players facing off against the International machinations of all things Lovecraft.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads