RA Salavatore Books vs 4.0 E

Darkwolf71

First Post
Salvatore has explicitly stated that Drizzt is not a D&D character. (No, I don't have a link and it was many years ago.) He does things in the book because they work for the story. The question of them working by RAW doesn't matter.

Spatula

Explorer
Given the 4e elf preview information, Drizzt still being alive & presumably active 100 years later is suddenly intriguing... Long-lived elves are bad we are told; the 4e wild elves have short lifespans relative to even 3e (which were very short relative to 1e/2e), although there's no word on the expected lifespan of eladrin or drow. How old was Drizzt supposed to be in the current timeline?

The Ubbergeek

First Post
Drizzt was young by drow standart - 100 more years, he'd still be alive.

Artemis will not... unless he found a magical way to cheat Death. He is shown to be aging, even. The guy's strenght and speed started to decline...

Hammerhead

Explorer
The Ubbergeek said:
Drizzt was young by drow standart - 100 more years, he'd still be alive.

Artemis will not... unless he found a magical way to cheat Death. He is shown to be aging, even. The guy's strenght and speed started to decline...

Yeah, but his weapons are cooler.

Curufinwe

First Post
I might be mistaken but if I remember correctly...

Spoiler:
...Artemis killed a Shadovar with his vampiric dagger thus absorbing its life energy. In the latest novels there were some references of Artemis not aging any longer or at least at a slower pace...

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Yeah, plus if Artemis just keeps using his vampiric-blade to the full-degree of its powers, he could stay youthful for a very-long time.

I do so hope Jarlaxle is in the future-books, he is my favourite characters by far, like who wouldn't love a womenizing, cool-mannered, swashbuckling, fun-loving drow. :p

Cmarco

First Post
Darkwolf71 said:
I wouldn't be at all suprised if Artemis manages to find a way to cheat death. I mean it would be totally unrealistic, but he has been such a iconic counter point to Drizzt it's hard to imagine the story line going on without him*. There's always Jarlaxle, but... it's just not the same.

*note: I have not read The Hunter's Blades books so if this makes no sense due to some things in there, my apologies.

Well, after he stabbed that shadovar, Entreri's lifespan was extended by a LOT. We'll just have to see what happens.

curious.... I have not read the last three books (four with the Orc King). Much has happened already.

If they decide to keep the books even (or at least close) to the Campaign time I will greatly miss the humans in his book series.

I suppose this means he will hook up with the female elf he was flirting with in Hunter's Blades then.

Aris Dragonborn

First Post
StarFyre said:
in a couple books, he does use spells...

True, he uses Faerie Fire and Darkness, but these are innate racial abilities - not granted spells.

The FRCS also gives him Dancing Lights, but I can't recall him ever using these in the novels.

Spatula said:
How old was Drizzt supposed to be in the current timeline?

The current FR year is, what, 1374 DR? He was born in 1297 DR, so he's 77 or thereabouts.

Remove ads