D&D 5E [Radiant Citadel] A chart of parallel Earth cultures and motifs across the D&D Multiverse

Voadam

Legend
In 5e Ravenloft Valachan has changed in a number of ways including going from forest to jungle/rain forest, a new darklord, and its description of the local population. They are now described as predominately humans with dark hair and a range of warm brown skin tones. It states that some names take inspiration from Mesoamerican languages. The two villages are Shuara and Oselo. The new map shows the location of the wreck of the Helbenik and the wreck of the Rotwald.

The new darklord is supposed to be a native, but the art portrays her a bit more White than I was expecting from the description.

1659322806270.png

Voadam

Legend
5e Ravenloft also adds the Domains of the Kingdom of Kalakeri and the nearby small island chain that contains the Ashram of Niranjan. Both are India themed domains. Sri Raji and the Steaming Lands are said to be prior names of Kalakeri and Kalakeri includes an incarnation of Sri Raji's Arijani.

I didn't notice either back in the 80s when I read the original trilogy. Not being an immediate member of the main group and not showing up on the novel or module covers it is easy for a later description to get lost in the shuffle.
Looking into his Wiki article etc, it turns out that Theros Ironfeld is from a fishing village on the coast of Nordmaar. So he's a Nordman. The wiki article for the Nordmen says the Nordmen "can range from pale blonde to reddish-brown. Some darker skin tones are dominant throughout the coastal zones, however one's appearance counts for little in Nordmaar."

That's interesting. Coastal Nordmen are basically ~Black Scandinavians. So I'll place Theros Ironfeld and the Coastal Nordmen under the "Black European" section.

Still working to get the new suggestions into the chart. I love the new findings -- keep 'em comin'!

Latest update:

A bunch of ~African DRAGON magazine articles:
  • "Arms & Armor of Africa" by Michael J. Varhola, DRAGON 189(p20), AD&D2e
  • "The Priests of Africa" by Michael John Wybo II, DRAGON 209(p16), AD&D2e
  • "Gaming the Dark Continent" [sic!] by Roger E. Moore, DRAGON 122(p27), AD&D1e
  • "Out of Africa" by Charles R. Saunders, DRAGON 122(p22), AD&D1e
  • "An African Genesis" by Brady English, DRAGON 191(p32), AD&D2e
  • "The Deities of Africa" by Michael John Wybo II, DRAGON 215(p48), AD&D2e
  • "Mythos of Africa in Dungeons & Dragons" by Jerome Arkenberg, DRAGON 27(p39), OD&D
  • "Mythic Races of Africa" by Michael John Wybo II, DRAGON 202(p46), AD&D2e
  • "Real Warriors Ride Elephants" by Michael John Wybo II, DRAGON 195(p26), AD&D2e
  • "Arms & Armor of Africa" by Michael J. Varhola, DRAGON 189(p20), AD&D2e
  • "Magic From the Gods" by Michael John Wybo II, DRAGON 200(p14), AD&D2e
An OD&D ~Aboriginal Australian DRAGON mag article:
  • "The Mythos of Australia In Dungeons & Dragons" by Jerome Arkenberg, DRAGON 19 (p14), for OD&D
Expanded the entry on the Principality of Krondahar in the World of Mystara, and listed its details in both the South Asian and Central Asian sections, since it's a blend of Indian+Mongolian = ~Mughal.

Central Asian:
  • The Principality of Krondahar in Glantri (~Mughal = blended ~Mongolian + ~Indian; The illustration of Khan Jherek Virayana (GAZ2 p.30) has a ~Mongolian aesthetic. The title "khan" is ~Mongolian, but was also used by the ~Mughals in India. The double "aa" in the name of city of Braastar is ~Mongolian, cf. Ulaan Baatar. But other aspects of Krondahar are Indian: Virayana and Singhabad (see the South Asian section for sources). In-world, the Krondaharians are of Ethengarian (~Mongolian) origin.)
South Asian:
  • The Principality of Krondahar in Glantri (~Mughal = blended ~Indian + ~Mongolian; their capital Singhabad, is the name of a village in West Bengal, the "last railway station in India"; Virayana is the name of an Ayruvedic author. But other aspects are ~Mongolian (see the Central Asian section): the name Braastar, the illustration of Khan Jherek Virayana, the title "khan" is ~Mongolian, but was also used by the ~Mughals in India. In-world, the Krondaharians are of Ethengarian (~Mongolian) origin.)
Two motifs from Blackmoor:
  • Afrotropical:
    • The settlement of Windhoek is named after Windhoek, the capital of Namibia.
  • Middle Eastern:
    • Kerman Peaks (< the city of Kermanshah, Iran, which is mostly Kurdish speaking)

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Looking into his Wiki article etc, it turns out that Theros Ironfeld is from a fishing village on the coast of Nordmaar. So he's a Nordman. The wiki article for the Nordmen says the Nordmen "can range from pale blonde to reddish-brown. Some darker skin tones are dominant throughout the coastal zones, however one's appearance counts for little in Nordmaar."

That's interesting. Coastal Nordmen are basically ~Black Scandinavians. So I'll place Theros Ironfeld and the Coastal Nordmen under the "Black European" section.
Not sure that the Dragonlance Nordmen are basically fantasy Scandinavians. They have the physical looks and the name meaning people of the north but that seems to be it. Ansalon is in the southern hemisphere. Nordmaar is the northernmost point on the continent, it includes the most tropical part of the continent, steamy jungles where the civilized Nordmen live under the single rule of the Nordmaar king, and more arid areas subject to their "close cousins" the nomadic horse barbarians who serve the Khan of the Southern Wastes.

The names of the Nordmen tribes in the wiki are not particularly Norse:

The nearby Minotaurs of the Blood Sea are the ones I remember being known for naval piracy and raiding in the setting. Nordmaar is not known for its trade either.

Not sure that the Dragonlance Nordmen are basically fantasy Scandinavians. They have the physical looks and the name meaning people of the north but that seems to be it. Ansalon is in the southern hemisphere. Nordmaar is the northernmost point on the continent, it includes the most tropical part of the continent, steamy jungles where the civilized Nordmen live under the single rule of the Nordmaar king, and more arid areas subject to their "close cousins" the nomadic horse barbarians who serve the Khan of the Southern Wastes.

The names of the Nordmen tribes in the wiki are not particularly Norse:

The nearby Minotaurs of the Blood Sea are the ones I remember being known for naval piracy and raiding in the setting. Nordmaar is not known for its trade either.
For Krynn (but also for some of the other worlds) there’s always a caveat that motifs are especially blended. I’m not actually saying the Nordmen are outright Norsemen. They’re Norsemen in a jungle clime with Aztec names. Whose coastal folk are Black. And whose Horse Barbarian cousins are Turko-Mongolic khans. And whose culture is sifted through the Krynnish aesthetic and mythology (no Odin and Aesir!).

A cultural entry means different things depending on which world it’s from. For Mystara, it often means a close parallel. For Oerth, a more blended parallel. For Krynn, even more blended, to the extent that it’s only one of several “source motifs” for that culture, covering only a single aspect.

When I post the Norse-Germanic section, you’ll see that spectrum too:
-Mystara’s Northern Reaches. Very close parallel to earthly Norse.
-Oerth’s Snow & Ice Barbarians are more fantastic.
-As are Toril’s Uthgardt Barbarians.
-And even moreso, Krynn’s Nordmen.
-If there are any Norse/Viking motifs in Eberron, I imagine they are even more effervescent.

The listing of Krynnish Nordmen under ~Norse-Germanic doesn’t mean they are as parallel as the other worlds’ Norsemen analogues.

Same applies to all the sections on the chart.

Last edited:

For Krynn (but also for some of the other worlds) there’s always a caveat that motifs are especially blended. I’m not actually saying the Nordmen are outright Norsemen. They’re Norsemen in a jungle clime with Aztec names. Whose coastal folk are Black. And whose Horse Barbarian cousins are Turkish-Mongolic khans. And whose culture is sifted through the Krynnish aesthetic and mythology (no Odin and Aesir!).

A cultural entry means different things depending on which world it’s from. For Mystara, it often means a close parallel. For Oerth, a more blended parallel. For Krynn, even more blended, to the extent that it’s only one of several “source motifs” for that culture, covering only a single aspect.

When I post the Norse-Germanic section, you’ll see that spectrum too:
-Mystara’s Northern Reaches. Very close parallel to earthly Norse.
-Oerth’s Snow & Ice Barbarians are more fantastic.
-As are Toril’s Uthgardt Barbarians.
-And even moreso, Krynn’s Nordmen.

The listing of Krynnish Nordmen under ~Norse-Germanic doesn’t mean they are as parallel as the other worlds’ Norsemen analogues.

Same applies to all the sections on the chart.
The closest analogies in Krynn are Istar = Papal States, and maybe Solamnia = USA

The closest analogies in Krynn are Istar = Papal States, and maybe Solamnia = USA
Well you may be right, and I see what you mean, but those kind of parallels are so culturally removed and hard to “prove” in regard to designers’ intent, that it’s kinda hard for me to imagine including, say, Solamnia in my upcoming “Anglo North American” section, alongside New Waterdeep and Mystara’s County of Cimmarron (which the designer explicitly said is based on Texas).

Knights of Solamnia are very similar to the fate of the Knights Templar though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases