Rage of Demons: "D&D On Hard Mode"

Out of the Abyss will be available in preferred stores in just two days (and elsewhere 11 days later). In the meantime, the promotion is still coming thick and fast, this time with a Chris Perkins interview over at Polygon. The interview covers a range of general D&D topics which you've probably seen dozens of times before, but there is some new material on Out of the Abyss. "The idea with Rage of Demons was to paint the Underdark as D&D on hard mode".

Out of the Abyss will be available in preferred stores in just two days (and elsewhere 11 days later). In the meantime, the promotion is still coming thick and fast, this time with a Chris Perkins interview over at Polygon. The interview covers a range of general D&D topics which you've probably seen dozens of times before, but there is some new material on Out of the Abyss. "The idea with Rage of Demons was to paint the Underdark as D&D on hard mode".

demons_demogorgon_2.0.jpg

The whimsical Alice in Wonderland style is divisive; Perkins describes it as "the Underdark becomes the Wonderland of D&D; this crazy weird place that you have to fall down a hole to enter, and it’s full of crazy deranged characters. The more you hang around them, the more you begin to understand them, and the more you realize you’re going crazy yourself."

The interview also describes some details of the adventure. The PCs start off as prisoners of the drow.

The article also describes the sentient gelatinous cube, Glabbaagool. The demon lord Juiblex's presence causes lots of oozes to gain sentience. Other NPCs include Yuk Yuk and Spiderbait, a goblin tag team. "These guys are your bungee-jumpers, hang-gliders, stuff like that. We encounter them in Out of the Abyss where they help you navigate this gigantic cavern complex full of spiderwebs."

And then there's Xazak, the beholder with ten disintegration eyestalks and an Igor-like servant called Mr. Peebles. And Zelix, a mindflayer who runs an insane asylum because insane brains are more tasty than sane ones.

309772_Glabbagool.0.jpg

Read the whole thing here.

Never been one to run pre-made modules (last time I did was in the late 90's with Chronicles of the Dragonlance), but what I've read so far has me really tempted to try out Out of the Abyss.

Some of those NPCs sound fantastic.

Chimpy

First Post
Just replace "hears about their exploits in the Underdark" with "hears about their exploits in Phandalin" and you're all good to go.

Out of the Abyss is actually structured so you can go immediately from the Starter Set to this adventure. Out of the Abyss begins with the PCs as prisoners of the drow. They then escape and make their way to the surface - that's the first four levels. They're level 5 when they return to the surface world... the same level as characters finishing Lost Mine!
This is great news - perfect for my group who have taken a break after Lost Mines and want to start up again for a bit.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
This is great news - perfect for my group who have taken a break after Lost Mines and want to start up again for a bit.

Actually it seems like the surface break can take place at different times, so introducing characters to it shouldn't be that difficult. People should be buying it Real Soon Now(tm), so we'll learn then. Alas, I have to wait until it gets released in Australia. :(

Cheers!

wedgeski

Adventurer
Just replace "hears about their exploits in the Underdark" with "hears about their exploits in Phandalin" and you're all good to go.

Out of the Abyss is actually structured so you can go immediately from the Starter Set to this adventure. Out of the Abyss begins with the PCs as prisoners of the drow. They then escape and make their way to the surface - that's the first four levels. They're level 5 when they return to the surface world... the same level as characters finishing Lost Mine!

Cheers!
It's...it's almost like...the designers of D&D know what they're doing!

Mirtek

Hero
Bruenor king of gauntlgrym? That's a big spoiler

So the adventure takes place after the novel

Last edited by a moderator:

Mhyr

Explorer

This sounds perfect! Thank you very much, MerricB. (Can't wait for tomorrow!!!)

Dausuul

Legend
This sounds seriously awesome. I am very tempted to buy it and run it for my group, even though it would mean junking the homebrew campaign I'm in the process of planning.

Remove ads

Remove ads