• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Raiders of Oakhurst Reloaded -- Free 4E Adventure (Ennie Nominated!)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
tovokas said:
Clevernickname/Olgar...

I've added a quick cover to the 'content' PDF, and appended the maps to the end of the file.

I think the formatting in Klaus's PDF version of the original adventure is just lovely - it would be fantastic if it could be mirrored in the body of the expanded adventure, but I realize 38 pages is a bit heavier load than 7! :)

t
The cover is nicely done, tovokas. Skills, you have them. :)

CleverNickName

Alright...I got medieval on its ass. :]

I was having issues with the original formatting of the document, and Word wasn't letting me remove the columns or certain breaks...so I ended up stripping ALL formatting in the document and rebuilding it from the ground up. Now it has tables, section breaks, a functional table of contents, tables...

The new Word document can be found here (300 KB .doc). It is primed and ready for artwork. (Hint, hint...)

Once that was done, it was a rather small task to convert the document into an Adobe Acrobat file, which can be downloaded here (3.7MB .pdf). Unlike my previous one, it actually has good-looking maps in it. All it needs is a front and back cover (hint, hint), and it's money.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Last edited:

Cerulean_Wings

First Post
To everyone who contributed to this project: thank you! I was planning on showing the awesomeness of 4e to a group of gamers, and I was looking for the best way, and this happens to be it! I just need to draw the maps on my own (since color cartridges are pricey), and that's that, everything else is already set up and ready to go :D

CleverNickName

Maps are Keyed Now

Sorry that it took me so long to get to this, but it has been one crazy week at work. I have added most of the keys to the maps as best I could; they look rather sloppy but they should be playable now. You can download it here (2.9MB .PDF file). The revised pages are #31 thru #34.

It would be awesome if someone with better skills/software could add the locations of all of the monsters, and maybe clean up the fonts, lettering, and symbols I used. The only image editor the campus computers have is MS Paint. :\

Nahat Anoj

First Post
Alright, time for "Raiders of Oakhurst: Reloaded" redux. :) I got another group of gamers together and tried to get this one played out. The group decided to do the whole adventure, not just kobold lair. It surprised me that they actually wanted to roleplay. :) They did that for a bit, finding out about the town and other various things. One thing I noticed was that I felt the DCs for the information were too high - if I do this playtest again, I'm going to shift them down by 5.

The players chose the cleric, fighter, wizard, and rogue. The player of the cleric also played the ranger. The encounters were the kobolds at the farm, the skeletons in the tomb, and then Crag Keep.

The first "real" encounter was the skeletons (the kobolds at the farm was pretty easy). Before the fight, they found the trap and I let the wizard use mage hand to open the door. I liked the actual fight as well - the fighter and cleric each took one skeletal warrior, while the rogue, wizard, and ranger worked on another. Some bad rolls on the part of the ranger and wizard made them less effective. The rogue and cleric almost dropped, but a healing word by the cleric brought him up a bit, and he cast Turn Undead to great effect. Eventually the group beat them down.

The next encounter was at the Keep Crag. They dispatched the kobolds at the guard tower and tried to ambush the kobolds inside the inner building. The battle with the kobolds was a little rough (the rogue got flanked and jabbed in the back by a skirmisher). After the party killed all but one of the kobolds, the hobgoblins came down, and now the tough fight began. The hobgoblins managed the drop the rogue, knock the cleric prone, and drop the fighter. But Team Evil eventually got beat down.

I really liked how the game has played so far, as did the cleric's/ranger's player. He felt the game was pretty smooth. The wizard's player seemed unsatisfied by his power selection - he felt he was too "same-y." I guess this is similar to what others have said about "limited" choices. With multiple ways to Channel Divinity, the cleric did have more options than the other classes. But I guess it's not such a big deal to me. The rogue's player was *really* annoyed by 1-square diagonal movement. In fact, he kept making diagonal cracks all session long, saying he would never walk north, south, east or west, but would walk north-east, south-east, and so on :) . He also said he had "power fatigue" by flipping his character sheet over to see what he could do. The fighter's player is a little slow, and he never really used his powers. But he said he had a good time anyways.

We'll complete the adventure next week. I printed out Xorn's Stone Table map on cardstock for the occasion (I've been wanting to pick up Skeleton Key's eVenture Tiles, and this was good practice).

:D

Sounds like you had a good time. That's good feedback on the information DCs. Do you think they are too high in general, or particularly for the playtest PCs, who weren't really built with roleplay challenges in mind.

I intended some of the information to be difficult to gather, but I intended for the basic information about the threat to be fairly straightforward to gather. Perhaps the information gathering could be rebuilt into a "skill challenge" format to make it easier to get to the bottom of some of the other mysteries in town.

Remove ads