• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Random questions thread!

Gorg

Explorer
Anyone care to explain WHY Mayonnaise of all things is available in the 5E PHB's equipment section??? And in bulk, too. Is it to help that fillet of Displacer Beast slide down your gullet better?

How about you guys? Any oddballs you always wondered about?

Yet no combs.

Note that mayonnaise is also one of the things you can get from an Alchemy Jug. Although I can't find it in the PHB so I wonder what the context is?

I don't see mayonnaise in my PHB, but my guess would be that a price was desired for it so that people could sell the 2 gallons of mayonnaise potentially produced daily by an alchemy jug.

I saw a quote somewhere from a designer saying they had brainstormed lots of wacky, impractical things to have the alchemy jug create, and that mayonnaise was just the only joke one that survived editing.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Why did 5e decide to keep splint armor and drop banded armor instead of the other way around?

Gorg

Explorer
Yet no combs.

Note that mayonnaise is also one of the things you can get from an Alchemy Jug. Although I can't find it in the PHB so I wonder what the context is?
Nah- you're right, it WAS the Alchemy jug. I got confustipated... That makes it even worse, though- Mages think vast quantities of mayo at a moments notice are a good enough idea to include it in a standard magic item??

I think some sly dog at WoTC is having a bit of fun at our expense.

Nah- you're right, it WAS the Alchemy jug. I got confustipated... That makes it even worse, though- Mages think vast quantities of mayo at a moments notice are a good enough idea to include it in a standard magic item??

I think some sly dog at WoTC is having a bit of fun at our expense.

Here's the quote addressing it:

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I don't see mayonnaise in my PHB, but my guess would be that a price was desired for it so that people could sell the 2 gallons of mayonnaise potentially produced daily by an alchemy jug.

I saw a quote somewhere from a designer saying they had brainstormed lots of wacky, impractical things to have the alchemy jug create, and that mayonnaise was just the only joke one that survived editing.
An Alchemy Jug was one of the first magic items my group found in our long-term 5e game.

At one point, we were being attacked by invisible enemies, so the fighter pulled the cork on the mayonnaise spout. The mayo started sticking to everyone's feet, including the invisible attackers, and we were better able to target them!

Remove ads