Ranged Trip Question

Bloodweaver1

First Post
This scenerio has come up in a game that I am playing and has created some debate among us players. I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

What are the trip modifiers for follow combatants and is the Ogre subject to Sneak Attack, ranged or melee? Please explain your logic. Thanks!
Barbarian 4 Ogre (Generic MM1)
vs
Fighter 2/Rogue 3/Master Thrower 2/Invisible Blade 4 Halfling (+6 Dex & Trip Trick Shot)

My answers:
Ogre: +15
Halfling: +6

-Blood

Bryntryst

First Post
The tripper uses his/her strength modifier, whereas the defender may choose the higher of strength or dexterity. IDHTBIFOM, so not sure if the trip shot trick permits the halfling to substitute dex on the trip attempt, but even then you will still need to apply size modifiers. Also depends on what the halfling's str mod is.

That being said, should the ogre get tripped, he doesn't lose dex mod when he's prone, so is therefore not subject to sneak attack damage.

Ogre Trips:

Ogre with a strength of 26(30 when raging) initiates a trip attempt and rolls a d20 with a +12(14) [+4 size +8(10) strength]

Halfling attempts to resist with a +2 bonus [+6 dexterity -4 size].

Halfling Trips:

Halfling initiates trip with a +xx [+xx strength -4 size] bonus.

Ogre resists with a +12(14) [+4 size +8(10) strength] bonus.

Again, haven't read trip shot, but unless it permits dexterity for the character initiating the trip and disregards size penalties, good luck tripping an ogre.

At least with the ranged trip, you don't have to worry about a reciprocal trip when yours fails.

Remove ads