D&D (2024) Ranger playtest discussion

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I’m fine with access to magic, especially magic that isn’t just spells. It’s spellcasting that doesn’t fit the ranger archetype.
Spells fit the D&D archetype.
The issue again is outside of video games and anime, ranger characters are in low magic and no magic settings. They only don't use spell in those setting because spells don't exist or are hard to get in the setting.

Jon Snow would be shooting lightning arrows at the Night King and reviving his buddies if Westeros had usable magic.

Raith5

Adventurer
Speaking of Ranger vs Rogue, I always thought it was odd that the Rogue was the one who got "Steady Aim" (basically, use a Bonus Action and don't move to get advantage on an attack) and the Ranger didn't.

I agree that it is weird. I just played a Rouge Scout with steady aim and he felt more rangery than any ranger I have played in 5e. But in many respects steady aim is too powerful/too easy a way to get advantage. I wish steady aim granted a class ability which created a hunters mark type of damage boost, rather than granted advantage.

The Glen

Legend
If you want to make the rangers stand out make them as self sufficient as possible. Give them the ability to act as if they have a toolkit in their favored environment even if they don't. Steal from famous scenes for examples. Use the expanded rules for tools and the ranger starts racking up free abilities.

Trapkit. We have a vine and a rock (predator)
Herbalism. Go get these plants to cure the poison (LOTR)
Carpentry. We need a small village for seven people (Gilligan's Island)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Ranger shouldn't be a half caster.

It should be a full caster, with limited access to the primal spell list. (Just Abjuration, Divination, and Transmutation.)

Same idea for paladins.

What I'd really like to see is the base spell slot table tuned down (maybe to 2/2/2/1/1/1/1/1/1), and then class features grant higher spell frequency for the more dedicated caster classes, like wizard and sorcerer.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Spells fit the D&D archetype.
For some characters, sure.
The issue again is outside of video games and anime, ranger characters are in low magic and no magic settings.
So low-magic is part of the character archetype.
They only don't use spell in those setting because spells don't exist or are hard to get in the setting.

Jon Snow would be shooting lightning arrows at the Night King and reviving his buddies if Westeros had usable magic.
Then he wouldn’t be Jon Snow.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I mean, they really need to get rid of spellcasting.

It's not like most of the things the spells can do fit Rangers thematically or are at all interesting. The vast majority of people who actually play Rangers aren't going to miss them, I'd suggest.

You know what they actually need to do? Bring back Wardens. Spellcasting Rangers should become Wardens, the weird Druid-hybrid class. Spell-less Rangers become Katniss Everdeen and her ilk.
Wardens are cool; the version made by Mage Hand Press is solid and fun.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
This all seems reasonable to me. I get that some would prefer a Ranger without spells, and this is going the other direction, but this feels cleaner to give Rangers access to the Snare spell than write up a way to make snares that more or less mimics the spell.
It's certainly simpler, which we all know is a top priority.

Remove ads