Ranger tips? 4E PHB only

It is more or less waiting for DM approval on my weapon choice (Doublesword) pretty sure I'll get it) so feat advice is welcome.

But never ran a ranger in any edition, much less this one rolled good stats at least.

So any advice is welcome. :D

Twins trike, hit and run, and jaws if the wolf on an elf.

Last edited:

A melee ranger usually goes Strength primary and Dex secondary. (WotC suggested Dex primary and Strength secondary for an archer, but every archer ranger I've ever seen took Wisdom secondary.) As an elf, you'll have a high Wisdom anyway. Your high Dex will mitigate your low AC somewhat, but take hide armor. +1 AC helps. Take any power that lets you retreat when attacked; it's crucial to avoid being attacked in the first place (rather than try to boost your lowish AC).

Your Strength bonus to damage isn't terribly important, because Twin Strike ignores that. You do want every other bonus possible, especially those that "double up". So Lethal Hunter only gives you an average +1 damage at the heroic tier, whereas anything that gives you +1 damage per strike (other than Strength) is worthwhile. Weapon Focus is a good feat, as you don't need to be a fighter to take it (from what I see) and that's +1 damage per sword swing per tier
(basically +2 per round).

Your accuracy will suffer, as elves don't get a bonus to Strength. Invest in an appropriate expertise feat. It's a good thing you're using some sort of sword, as those give you +3 proficiency bonuses. Elven Accuracy is also nice.

Thankfully the dice love me and I have dueling 18s in Str and Dex. If I do get the double sword that should put me at a comfy base 18 AC. Still not being hit is preferable. Sadly the DM really means PHB only, even the expertise feats aren't allowed. (Currently)

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Is there a real reason for PHB only?

If you end up using the Character Builder - which I recommend - you will have access to everything and it's actually hard (maybe impossible?) to filter things out.

Igwilly

First Post
Character Builder is not necessary to play 4e, especially if only the core books are allowed.
I allow many splatbooks, but no CB in my 4e games.
Also, I don't think you can adquire CB legally, now. Just the ones who already have it, it seems.

You arw correct!

Hoping the DM will let me rule of cool that, but we shall see. Also it enjoyably would still count as both a heavy and light blade I'm planning to secretly use the Errata version but I could really really abuse that.

Remove ads