D&D General Rank the Goodman Games Reincarnated series

Retreater

Legend
EDIT: nvm I see it’s an older adventure… but in three books!?!!
One book is the original adventure and historic documents, essays, etc. The other is a 5e conversion, and the other is an all-new 5e sequel adventure. I'm expecting it to be a great product.

Also, what didn’t translate to modern audiences? Did you have a TPK?
No. They were bored. The dungeon was basically empty, laid out strangely, traps and enemy placements were illogical, etc. It was old-school, but not in a good way (like Lost City or Isle of Dread).
In fact, the experience was so lackluster the players mention it in their notes before each session, even though it was months ago. They refer to it as an ongoing joke, "the boring dungeon."

Jack Hooligan

Explorer
I think I’m interested in playing the Hommlet adventure, but maybe not the following dungeons. If I bought the two book set is Hommlet completely contained in one?

Retreater

Legend
I think I’m interested in playing the Hommlet adventure, but maybe not the following dungeons. If I bought the two book set is Hommlet completely contained in one?
Just going by memory of flipping through my friend's copy 6 months ago...
The first volume contains the entirely of the 1e product (along with interviews, essays, etc.) as well as a portion of the 5e conversion - including Hommlet, the Gate House, and a portion of the Temple itself. Volume 2 includes the remainder of the 5e conversion and the expanded content for more 5e adventures.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Yes. @Retreater got it. Hommlet and the surrounding environs, including the moat house and new content (mostly lairs for random encounters) are in volume 1. The upper works of the main temple are also in it. The Dungeons and all the appendices (including the monster stat blocks) are in Volume 2. So you need to have volume 2 handy, or make copies of the appendices.

Jack Hooligan

Explorer
alright, one more question… if I got four of these (Into the Borderlands, Lost City, Isle of Dread, and Castle Amber)… it would be two for levels 1-3 and two for levels 3+.

What would be the best pairings to run? I’m thinking Into the Borderlands followed by Isle of Dread and Lost City followed by Castle Amber. Thoughts?

Retreater

Legend
alright, one more question… if I got four of these (Into the Borderlands, Lost City, Isle of Dread, and Castle Amber)… it would be two for levels 1-3 and two for levels 3+.

What would be the best pairings to run? I’m thinking Into the Borderlands followed by Isle of Dread and Lost City followed by Castle Amber. Thoughts?
I'm doing Saltmarsh combined with Borderlands and Isle of Dread - but I can throw Lost City onto the Isle. Mix and match is my approach.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer

Since both Dread and Amber begin in either remote or otherworldly locations, you can connect to either Lost City or Borderlands equally. I think your proposed pairings work just fine. You can have the Borderlands players find a map to the Isle in the evil temple area (or maybe with the minotaur), while the Lost City players can find a portal to Castle Amber in the caverns on the lower levels.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero

B2 to X1 (Keep to Isle) is the classic "adventure path" back in the day.

Lost City starts low level but eventually ends up higher, especially in this version. Likewise, a lot of X2 involves running away from or placating dangerous insane wizards, so it can certainly function as a higher level adventure site.

So yeah, your planned paths would work.

Remove ads