D&D General Rank the Goodman Games Reincarnated series

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
No. They were bored. The dungeon was basically empty, laid out strangely, traps and enemy placements were illogical, etc. It was old-school, but not in a good way (like Lost City or Isle of Dread).
Yeah, Quasqueton is unstocked by default, because TSR thought DMs would be excited about that part of the process (a weird thought even at the time). Both the original and OAR have some suggested stockings for the dungeon, but it does mean you've paid up to $50 for a dungeon that you have to fill in for yourself.

I'd argue that it is old school in a lot of important ways, as the trope originator for the teleporters in the maze and the room full of magical pools, but I think both of those are less-remembered tropes today, and one of them is seen as bad design.

EDIT: Also note that, like Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, Dyson Logos has redrawn and tightened up this map, so it's not so many hallways.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
B2 to X1 (Keep to Isle) is the classic "adventure path" back in the day.

Lost City starts low level but eventually ends up higher, especially in this version. Likewise, a lot of X2 involves running away from or placating dangerous insane wizards, so it can certainly function as a higher level adventure site.

So yeah, your planned paths would work.
If they can stand it, my son's group is going to do Borderlands -> Amber -> Barrier Peaks

Retreater

Legend
Both the original and OAR have some suggested stockings for the dungeon, but it does mean you've paid up to $50 for a dungeon that you have to fill in for yourself.
The 5e "conversion" of B1 has a defined encounter key and backstory. So that part is complete and expanded. I don't feel like I got a bad deal. It just didn't connect with my players - and it shows its age more than other conversions I've DMed from that era (Tegel Manor, Isle of Dread, Saltmarsh).

Jack Hooligan

Explorer
My potential players come from a 5e pool. Despite some being my age they never played DnD back in the day and 5e is their first experience.

I kinda wanna get Old School Essentials and run these as they were meant to be run. 100% relive my lost youth (where I owned these but ended up playing in home brews) and run these bad boys with B/X

Retreater

Legend
I kinda wanna get Old School Essentials and run these as they were meant to be run. 100% relive my lost youth (where I owned these but ended up playing in home brews) and run these bad boys with B/X
Here you go. Give it a test run with the basic core rules. You can get at least a few weeks worth of adventure from that PDF.

Remove ads