D&D General Ranking the Pillars of Play

How would you rank the pillars of play, in order of preference?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Most folks will agree that there are three pillars of play: Combat, Exploration, and Social.
Few people will agree on how much of each pillar they would like in their games, though.

So how would you rank them, in order of importance?

For example, vote for "Combat > Exploration > Social" if you feel that Combat is most important, Exploration is second-most important, and Social is least important. If you like them all equally, vote for the option with the equal signs.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I voted for all being equal because I think the game benefits from having an equal opportunity for all, depending on what the players want to do. In terms of importance, exploration covers more ground than either combat or social exploration - given the actual definition of the exploration pillar in the D&D 5e rules - and will likely be more present in any game.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
@iserith it's true, the game does need all three in order to be complete. But not everyone enjoys them in equal amounts: not many gaming groups would like to spend an hour picking locks and an hour shopping for gear, for every hour spent in combat.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Social > Combat > Exploration

I play roleplaying games to roleplay, and the Social pillar is the best and easiest way to do that. Of the other two... one has really extensive rules with which to play it, the other has very little. So for the board game part of RPGs, I go with the one with the most interesting ruleset.

Scribe

Legend
I thought about it, like this.

Combat > *, because I enjoy that aspect the most.

Then I was stuck with Combat > Exploration > Social or Combat > Social > Exploration, because there is no Combat > Exploration = Social.

Then I thought, well Exploration may be needed to get to my next Combat.

Therefore: Combat > Exploration > Social. :D

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
@iserith it's true, the game does need all three in order to be complete. But not everyone enjoys them in equal amounts: not many gaming groups would like to spend an hour picking locks and an hour shopping for gear, for every hour spent in combat.
I think that's a bit of a different thing though. If we break adventures and campaigns into discrete challenges, I would say it's best to make these more or less equitable in my opinion. But the time spent on one challenge or another is going to vary. Certain, by virtue of combat often being a bit of a lengthier process, an equitable distribution of challenges across all pillars probably still results in more time being spent on combat in many games.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases