• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rap and Hip-Hop at the game table?

Barak

First Post
Well the only musical constant in our gaming group is that at every gaming session, the host has to put in his "Best of Funk" CD at least once. "She's a Brickhouse", "Shaft" and "Everybody loves Kung-Fu fighting" are three of the tracks, just to give you an idea.

It wouldn't be a gaming session otherwise. Weirdly, the rest of the time it's usually heavy metal or -some- rap that is played. But it's not for ambiance, it's mostly for background noise.

dreaded_beast

First Post
Thanks for all the interesting replies!

I didn't realize there were so many eclectic listeners here at EN World.

Although I may never play rap/hip-hop at the table (my only player, although she doesn't hate it, she is not a big fan either) I've always wondered what it would be like to play in such a game.

If I did use such music, I would probably go more for the instrumental beats more for background music or to set the mood. No lyrics.

This reminds me of the time I tried to freestyle some at the local karaoke hang-out about some DND themes, I think some of it went like this:

Insanely BAD and HORRIBLE freestyle alert!

(I was really drunk at the time, but for some reason I remember some of it, or at least some unreasonable facsimile ;) )

Hehe, forgot the Invis text:

like a paladin in hell
holy avenger +5
stay alive
let me ride
on my mount
down for the count
don't count me out
outsiders, outriders
feel my pain
far removed
from my prime material plane
when i got these fiends
fiendin for my soul
lord let me roll
with my mind whole
from this hole
in my chest
fiends from the pit
make spit my rhymes
one more time
see you in hell sunshine

Last edited:

Arnwyn

First Post
dreaded_beast said:
For myself, while I enjoy rock and roll/heavy metal as well, I also get strong feelings and emotions while listening to rap/hip-hop. While almost every gamer I have come accross either detests rap/hip-hop or at best, is ambivalent, I was wondering if anyone ever toyed with this idea.

On a similar note, I have been enjoying the recent "trend" of mixing kung-fu flix with hip-hop. Do you think the same could be done for DND?
Uh... no. (Not for me, at least. How awful.)

Henry said:
Keeping in mind that in the 80's (the biggest period for RPG's to date) the majority of gamers were white males who listened to metal and "hair bands", it makes sense the prevalent taste in the gaming community for rock and metal. Heck, my high school and college groups were the same way - AC/DC was king.
Yeah, but there's little in common between 80s hair bands and the kind of black metal and stuff that gamers typically trot out these days. I'm not sure that fans of AC/DC in the 80s are fans of groups modern day heavy metal today.
Henry said:
Me, I was a freak for ANYTHING 80's music - the nascent hip-hop, the pop, the new wave, the punk, etc. Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Kurtis Blow, Slick Rick, all were cool as :):):):) to me - they still are. :D
I'm still an 80s music freak as well. In fact, it looks like I'm on tap to spin for an 80s dance for a bunch of folks my age (late 20s, early 30s) here locally because I'm as notorious as Duran Duran for my 80s music predilections.

shadow

First Post
I just got a new idea for a character concept - a rapping bard! No more wussy lute playing bards, my bard will be a hard core gangsta' rapper! :D

shadow said:
I just got a new idea for a character concept - a rapping bard! No more wussy lute playing bards, my bard will be a hard core gangsta' rapper! :D
One of my NPCs, a slightly irritating bard who used to call himself "the Dervish of Words" was based on spoken word artist Saul Williams. Close enough. :cool:

Kid Socrates

First Post
For some reason, a rapping bard really makes me think of the scene in Robin Hood: Men in Tights, with the narrator (or whatever he was) telling the story via cheesy rap. I need to see that movie again.

Remove ads