• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rap and Hip-Hop at the game table?

Zoatebix

Working on it
Ottergame said:
I wasn't bashing just alternative. That, cRap, hip-hop, pop, heavy metal, J-pop... all that music sets a really raw tone to play a game by. Music effects people, weither they realize it or not, and it shows in their playstyle.

I wasn't implying that you were saving any of those from your wrath! I was just happy that the first target was a radio station. I was just happy that you seemed to express, in some way, that you would rather have people NOT listening to what Infinity Broadcasting -or whoever else it was- would have us hear, just so they can try to sell us boring, empty, soulless garbage.

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was putting words in your mouth - it was definately not my intent.
-z

babomb

First Post
Well, I'm not crazy about rap/hip hop -- at least, not the mainstream stuff they play on the radio nowadays; I'm down with some of the old school stuff like Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash, and Run DMC. Personally, I find that pretty much any music with lyrics would distract me from gaming, so the only music I'd play in the background would be classical or incidental music (music designed to be in the background, like in movies). Of course, I tried that once and my players didn't like it, so no music for us.

However, during a particularly silly session, we had an in-game freestyle rap contest. My paladin's was something like

My alignment is lawful good.
I represent my boys in the 'hood.
I detect evil,
Smite it too.
And if you're hurt,
Then I can heal you.

SSquirrel

Explorer
Zoatebix said:
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

ooh ooh! Doctor Octagon's Octagoneocologyst, too! Get the 20-track version with the DJ Shadow mix of "waiting list"... I haven't heard the whole album, but I've heard nothing but good things about it.
-z
Honestly I would worry about everyone falling under Kool Keith's sway especially on songs like Earth People *grin* *fallsintohypnoticgroove*

I had forgotten he did Diesel Power on Prodigy's Fat of the Land album (Firestarter, Breathe, etc) until I pulled that album out recently. Another great Keith track.

I would second Endtroducing and add the UNKLE album he was involved with, including Mike D and Thom Yorke from Radiohead. If you're looking for something a bit silly you can always go for Digital Underground (Sons of the P and Sex Packets are both wonderful albums) but you could always cut right to the heart of things and pull out some P Funk *grin* I bought Tear the Roof Off 74-80 recently and it's amazing double disc collection of most of Parliament's best.

Hagen

Zoatebix said:
ooh ooh! Doctor Octagon's Octagoneocologyst, too! Get the 20-track version with the DJ Shadow mix of "waiting list"... I haven't heard the whole album, but I've heard nothing but good things about it.
If you want a Dan the Automator album, the Dr. Octagon project is fine, but in my opinion, Deltron 3030 is much better as an album, as background music at the game table, and even as an inspiration for the game itself (Deltron 3030 is a tongue-in-cheek hip hop sci-fi epic tale...)

Love hip-hop but it generally dosen't work with DnD. The only exception I can think of is when I did glad. games at a convention. Even then the "intro" music was set to represent the teams of the competition.

Ironman team had a golem
Ace of Spades just plain fun
I forget the hip hop song I used. I think it was a 50 cent /Eminem combo. Group with daggers and cross bows (in place of knives and hand guns).

Tacky but for a con it was fun.

ended with what else...We are the Champions :\

babomb said:
However, during a particularly silly session, we had an in-game freestyle rap contest. My paladin's was something like

I detect evil,
Smite it too.
And if you're hurt,
Then I can heal you.

Ba-chew Ba-chew ba-chew-chew

I detect evil,
Smite it too.
And if you're hurt,