• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rap and Hip-Hop at the game table?

Numion

First Post
Zoatebix said:
Say no to the pop "Bling-bling" tripe that passes for hip-hop on the radio these days!

Considering 3E's amount of magic items there certainly is a lot of "Bling-bling" going on in the game - rings, bracelets, amulets, periapts, crowns etc .. :)

But yeah, I've used some rap, but I wouldn't call it a soundtrack. We're just listening and playing at the same time. Of late we've mostly been sticking to Conan though.

Last edited:

Davelozzi

Explorer
Beale Knight said:
I think rap/hip-hop would work fine for a modern game, but would be too far removed from the feel of fantasy to be a smooth fit.

I agree with Beale Knight, although I also feel that rap is best cranked full blast, while any gaming music is best played softly in the background, so there's a bit of aconflict on interests there. Although, truth be told, I'm not one of those people that generally plays music when gaming anyway.

I agree with Snoweel and others that rap is perfect for driving.

We've recently played a very high-level game in which the PCs were basically killed, sent to Hell, and had to prevent a Hell/Abyss war before getting back to Earth.

During all the scenes set in Hell, I played country music.
'We hate country music', the players said.
'Hey, what do you expect, you're in Hell!", the wise DM answered.

Of course, during all the scenes set in the Abyss, I played rap/hip-hop.
'We hate hip-hop', the notoriously musically challenged players said.
'Hey, what do you expect? You're in the Abyss!', the wise DM answered again, with a very irritating smile upon His face. :]

Turned out the players probably didn't hate country music and rap as much as they claimed, because in the end, the music really enhanced the mood of the game.

dreaded_beast said:
Almost all of the examples I have seen point towards "classic" music: the Conan soundtrack, various rock and roll/heavy metal bands, etc.
? :confused: ? That's not classic music.

Heavy metal seems to be the "in" thing for RPGers. I can't stand it, but that's OK. Listen to whatever you like. It's your game, after all. The only advice I really have is to not let the music be distracting from the game. Music can add to the game if done correctly, if not, you're better off not using it at all.

Ottergame

First Post
Classic rock music is great for battles, but all the other times it's just annoying to listen to.

But I am so freakin' sick of anything hip-hop and urban I'd walk away from a game group that had that music playing. I used to play at a game store that had crappy alternative radio stations on, and you could FEEL the games suffer because of it. When you got music playing that is so utterly against the game you are playing, the game suffers from it. People's play styles reflect what they hear, and it becomes crap.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:
Heavy metal seems to be the "in" thing for RPGers. I can't stand it, but that's OK. Listen to whatever you like. It's your game, after all. The only advice I really have is to not let the music be distracting from the game. Music can add to the game if done correctly, if not, you're better off not using it at all.

Word. It's not about what type of music, it's about making a comfortable/fun environment for all.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Joshua Dyal said:
Heavy metal seems to be the "in" thing for RPGers. I can't stand it, but that's OK. Listen to whatever you like.

Keeping in mind that in the 80's (the biggest period for RPG's to date) the majority of gamers were white males who listened to metal and "hair bands", it makes sense the prevalent taste in the gaming community for rock and metal. Heck, my high school and college groups were the same way - AC/DC was king.

Nowadays that taste is gradually shifting to a more mixed bag, with newer blood being introduced on a more frequent rate recently.

Me, I was a freak for ANYTHING 80's music - the nascent hip-hop, the pop, the new wave, the punk, etc. Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Kurtis Blow, Slick Rick, all were cool as :):):):) to me - they still are. :D

Kid Socrates

First Post
I stay away from classic rock as much as possible, prefering instrumentals of any sort (from Linkin Park to Riverdance to Final Fantasy and back again). I've played in a game set in the late 90's, in a modified World of Darkness setting, where the GM played music from that time period, depending on our location. We spent a lot of time listening to hip-hop and urban-style music the more into the city we went, club music (despite our best intentions), and church music. Strange mix, but it helped the mood a lot.

Even when I was doing the soundtrack for my Final Fantasy game, and I was picking out individual pieces of music for each scene and character and the like, I tried to pick music that would catch their attention, and then fade into the background very well. I tried to stay away from music with words for that purpose, because then you'll find yourself listening to the words instead of the game. At least I end up doing that, if I'm not careful.

But I think in a modern game and an urban setting, that kind of music would really add to the atmosphere, if used correctly.

ergeheilalt

First Post
I myself am a big fan of the whining, angst filled, "no one understands me" punk/metal music. I also like the old rock stuff from back in the day. I listen to it when I read, study, surf the net, etc.

One thing I cannot do is game with it. I turn on my LotR soundtracks or some classical music and go from there. When I'm dming, on of my little inventions I made with the use of flash is a music board that allows me to switch between combat music, to city music, to traveling through the countryside. My players enjoy it and I think it may lend to a bit more concentration.

That, and the LotR soundtrack is just cool :D
Erge

Remove ads