Rap and Hip-Hop at the game table?

Mirth

Explorer
Start out with DJ Shadow's Endtroducing and then make your way into the rest of the turntablist movement. Lots of amazing instrumental hip-hop to be found there. Try renting the documentary Scratch for more info.

Tratyn Runewind

First Post
Hello,

Hmm, hip-hop at the gaming table, eh? I suppose I could see it in certain big-city adventures or campaigns; lending a decadent urban edge to tales of crime guilds, vampire or lycanthrope circles, or revolutionary groups, that might correspond roughly to rap's stereotypical "gangstas"...

And I believe it was noted West Coast bard/rogue Andre the Rhymer who declaimed,

Never let me slip 'cause if I slip, then I'm slippin',
but if I got my +5 anarchic flaming burst bastard sword then ya know I'm straight trippin'!

;)

Zoatebix

Working on it
Mirth said:
Start out with DJ Shadow's Endtroducing and then make your way into the rest of the turntablist movement. Lots of amazing instrumental hip-hop to be found there. Try renting the documentary Scratch for more info.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

ooh ooh! Doctor Octagon's Octagoneocologyst, too! Get the 20-track version with the DJ Shadow mix of "waiting list"... I haven't heard the whole album, but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I'm not sure I'm really on the topic of gaming music anymore, but at least the few people who read this thread will hear about some of the good stuff that's being done in hip-hop.
-z

EricNoah

Adventurer
I'm one of those people who focuses so much I don't even hear the music most of the time if it's on during a game. I don't think it would bother me if music I didn't like was playing as long as it wasn't so loud that we couldn't comfortably talk/listen. (And I do like rap; my nickname at Nutkinland wasn't "Eazy E" for nothing!) The few times I bothered to try to come up with ambiance music, it didn't make a difference because I stopped hearing it the second the game started.

edit: Oh, and great pic Dark Jezter. My favorite scene is right at the beginning with that nerd guy driving to work with his rap music on. I'm sure I look just like that. :)

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
EricNoah said:
I'm one of those people who focuses so much I don't even hear the music most of the time if it's on during a game. I don't think it would bother me if music I didn't like was playing as long as it wasn't so loud that we couldn't comfortably talk/listen. (And I do like rap; my nickname at Nutkinland wasn't "Eazy E" for nothing!) The few times I bothered to try to come up with ambiance music, it didn't make a difference because I stopped hearing it the second the game started.

...which immediately made me think of "people who like rap"="people who don't hear the music" :D

Sorry, bad joke... ;)

Henry

Autoexreginated
EricNoah said:
...My favorite scene is right at the beginning with that nerd guy driving to work with his rap music on. I'm sure I look just like that. :)

Oh, you mean Michael Bolton? Yes, that was the character's name: Michael Bolton. :D

Remove ads