• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rapid Summoner

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Corsair said:
Which brings up a new question: How much of a discount is it worth to have a metamagic rod that works only for a certain school?
Almost none, since Conjuration has decided to fill nearly every other school's niche.

Cheers, -- N

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Corsair said:
Well I meant more generally, not conjuration specifically.
You can't ask the average price when the "worst case" is so much worse than the "best case". You have to price items for optimal usage.

This means you'd probably want to price each school separately. Unfortunately, this also means you'd have to vary each school's price based on what supplements are allowed. :\

IMHO it's not worth the effort. Also, Metamagic Rods are arguably absurdly cheap, given their potentially game-breaking effects.

Cheers, -- N

moritheil

First Post
MIC has made this even worse with items that grant extra actions that are notably cheaper than a high-level Rod of Quickening.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Corsair said:
Which brings up a new question: How much of a discount is it worth to have a metamagic rod that works only for a certain school?
None. This is especially true if the character always uses the metamagic rod on the same school anyway.

Folly

First Post
I believe there is a feat from the complete arcane that lets you cast a buff spell as part of casting a summoning spell. The buff spell can only affect the summons and I think has to be prepared as such (so if you prep'd a haste for your summons, you could only use it for the summons). It might be in a different location than CA, kinda fuzzy in the memory. I do believe it was a metamagic feat.

The MIC items that give actions tend to be very limited in both uses per day, and type of action. It is the type of action that makes it so cheap in comparison to the Rod of Quicken. A good comparison is a lesser quicken vs the belt of swift action cure serious (i forget the full name) Both can give a quicken 3rd level effect, but the belt can only do healing, while the rod in the hands of a cleric can do alot of different spells. This is not to say the items in the MIC are not absurdly cheap, I am just pointing out the rational.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads