Rappan Athuk: Ravage of The Unusual Heroes!

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

Hmmmm. The carnage was a little too much for me. As a player, I don't think I would have been too happy with that villain. Grumstrong was far too tough and requiring battle rezzes is just a little too Everquestish for my tastes.

In my opinion, PC's shouldn't die so often. They are heroes of the land. They should be able to handle their foes without all of them being decimated.

Glad you won, but damn, too many deaths for my tastes.

denmstrsn

First Post
Re: Re

Celtavian said:
Hmmmm. The carnage was a little too much for me. As a player, I don't think I would have been too happy with that villain. Grumstrong was far too tough and requiring battle rezzes is just a little too Everquestish for my tastes.
In my opinion, PC's shouldn't die so often. They are heroes of the land. They should be able to handle their foes without all of them being decimated.

Most of the time, when a PC dies, it is because of bad roll of the dice on our part or the DM rolls really well. This battle was the execption. We were fighting NPCs that were of equal and greater level than we were. When that is the case there is bound to be a high body count on the side of the hereos.

Xaltar

First Post
Re: Re

Celtavian said:

Well, this was sort of a one time battle and it had a lot of people involved. I had to make it tough... if the PC's could just breeze through it all, then there wasn't much point. From this point onward, they have another huge accomplishment to add to the list!

As for the resurrection during battle, I had totally forgotten that Ziona had a rod of resurrection, and PC's will do what they want to.

Last edited:

MasterOfHeaven

First Post
1) Actually, I think Xaltar was too easy on the party. Big tough baddies should always kill the casters first. Grumstorg almost exclusively focused on the tanks, very foolish. But hey, only big tough SMART baddies do what I just said, and this is an Orcan Chosen Of Gruumsh. I laugh at his -4 to Intelligence. Can't expect Chosen Of Cyric quality, here, really.

2) Nice to see Doc Midnight deliver the finishing blow. Too bad Gruumsh was waiting to see who killed his chosen warrior. I can sense the Avatar Of Gruumsh is already on it's way. You had a good run, right, Doc? ;)

3) Question.... why are so many people so obsessed with Drizzt? He's not really a great enough literary character to deserve any great amount of admiration, IMO, and he isn't really a bad enough literary character to deserve the hatred that seems to follow him around. I remember someone saying you can always tell a character is interesting when people either love or hate them. I just can't believe Drizzt is that interesting.

4) Great job writing the battle, Ziona. May many more Unusal Heroes fall under the booted heels of villiany in the future.

5) I really like the opposition Xaltar throws at you guys, I'd say. Heh heh.

6) If you guys really want a different name than the Unusal Heroes, I would go with A) Becoming worshippers of the great god Dartan, and naming your group the Wrath Of The Godless God; B) Calling yourselves Deaths Favored Guests; C) Calling yourselves the Wondrous Companions Of Lox Lumley; D) Calling yourselves the Martyrs Of The Realms E) Calling yourselves the Damned Of Gruumsh.

I'll think of more later, maybe. Once again, great job writing the battle scene, and I look forward to the epliogue.

wolff96

First Post
Considering the amount of death, pain, and suffering they go through in an attempt to clean up the world, I can think of two more:

1) Kelemvor's Frequent Flyers

2) Chosen of Ilmater.

:D

Great fight! Now that's an epic battle!

PaynAndispare

First Post
Originally posted by MasterOfHeaven
Big tough baddies should always kill the casters first.
I would have to agree with you on this. This is something I always have in the back of my mind ... I am a target, how do I make myself hard to hit ... Because of this line of thinking, I almost always make sure I am under the Improved Invis. spell ... and 75% of the time I make sure that I have cast this out of site from the enemy. Sure there may be times when someone we face has the see invis spell up, but this has seemed to work out well for me thus far.

Originally posted by Celtavian
Grumstrong was far too tough and requiring battle rezzes is just a little too Everquestish for my tastes.
:p I can honestly say I have never heard or seen the use of the word Everquestish in relation to D&D ... ahh the good ole days of that bad bad addiction. I can agree to a point that the "heroes" of any party should not go through a death count that we have. BUT, through it all, and with the accomplishments we have made, I feel that we are starting to see more of a solid stand up fight in our current encounters. We are not dropping off at alarming rates anymore ... we are at a point where the enemy has to really earn a kill. When we faced Grumstrong we were 13th (correct me if I am wrong guys) level at the top and 9th?? at the low end ... Grumstrong had to be *shrugs* who knows how high in level, and he had Epic Level Feats ... not your typical battle for a party of our size and toughness.

So, yes, there was battle rezzing, and madness and mayhem, but I tell you what, we had to pull out all the stops to win this fight. Talk about using what you have learned to be a tight knit group.

Originally posted by Tsunami
...woah...
Yup yup ... couldn't say it better myself! :D

Fun fun stuff :)

Oh yeah, TONIGHT IS FIGHT NIGHT!!! *woooohooooo*

Remove ads