Rashomon and Palace of the Silver Princess

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
It's not that good compared to the green cover the filkbin the blanks thing never caught on.
What's wrong with it? I haven't read the green version, but the orange version seems fine to me, especially for its day. Is the fill-in-the-blanks thing the reason you don't like it, or are there other reasons?

What's wrong with it? I haven't read the green version, but the orange version seems fine to me, especially for its day. Is the fill-in-the-blanks thing the reason you don't like it, or are there other reasons?
The Alexandrian article describers the differences pretty well.

But, Fill in the blank is a different approach to module writing than a populated plot line module is. It depends upon what you want. Do you want an outline adventure where you have to do a bunch of work before you present it to your players. Or, do you want something that is ready to run and all you have to do is read it and be aware of what's upcoming etc? They are different approaches to module writing and different approaches to DMing.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
The Alexandrian article describers the differences pretty well.
Yes, I read it, but that article didn't make it sound like the green version was a substantial improvement on the orange version--just different. So that's why I wanted to know what Zardnaar was objecting to, whether it was the fill-in-the-blank aspect or something else.

Zardnaar

Legend
Mostly fill in the blanks.

I never liked B3 that much even back in the day. Our 1st 4 modules were B2,B3, B4 and X1 that's all we had. Just thought the other 3 were better. B4 and X1 in particular.

I think I have all 4 now.

Not a fan of B1 either same reason.

But yeah wasn't a fan of the green B3 version.

gyor

Legend
The sad thing is that that's how business was done back then. It's a wonder that there are any companies left from that era at all...

People today do equally dumb things, its just a different kind of dumb.

Anyways as someone who is into BDSM, and rights kinky novels, I would love more BDSM Queens as game designers for D&D. I support 100% there being more and fair representation BDSM of all different flavours in D&D.

Shiroiken

Legend
But, Fill in the blank is a different approach to module writing than a populated plot line module is. It depends upon what you want. Do you want an outline adventure where you have to do a bunch of work before you present it to your players. Or, do you want something that is ready to run and all you have to do is read it and be aware of what's upcoming etc? They are different approaches to module writing and different approaches to DMing.
I understand the concept of Fill in the Blank style, but it always seemed to me that it was better to provide the full adventure, with the assumption that anything can be changed to fit the DM's preference (i.e. changing the filled in section with your own).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I understand the concept of Fill in the Blank style, but it always seemed to me that it was better to provide the full adventure, with the assumption that anything can be changed to fit the DM's preference (i.e. changing the filled in section with your own).

Well, the genre of written adventure modules was new, and the Basic box set had rules for populating dungeons that fit in with the fill-the-blank style.

Well, the genre of written adventure modules was new, and the Basic box set had rules for populating dungeons that fit in with the fill-the-blank style.
Yup, and as mentioned in a recient podcast, some players still feel like they need explicit permission to customise things to suit their own preferences.

Remove ads