• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rate S1: The Tomb of Horrors (corrected poll options)

Rate S1: The Tomb of Horrors

• Poll closed .

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
Numion said:
And I sometimes wonder why the third edition is blamed for bringing "video gameyness" into D&D. Sounds like you got yourselves a save-reload action going on in there.
Considering we figured this out when we were 13, in 1983, it was a pretty novel idea. There wasn't much "save/reload" going on in gaming or outside. We'd also been playing for a couple years, and the DM was willing to go along with it because it let her keep continuity in her campaign world as we started on a seriously epic series of events.

Nato9-Well, we didn't go back every day. See, in penalty for the resurrection and geting around the Con score limit, we lost 1/2 of our XP and were dropped in level appropriately, so it was a pretty major hit.

Whenever we went up a level our DM made us give her the old PC sheet, so she could give it back if we were lowered in level.

So we'd die. Go tear around until we felt confident we were able to take him on again, and go back in. We were bound and determined to kill him.

Last edited:

nato9 said:
Your preparations are really impressive. But its in the preparations that you are being clever and displaying skill, not in actions in the Tomb itself. There you seem to be dying just as much as anyone; its just that because of your cunning preparations death is irrelevant. Under those conditions, who wouldn't win eventually?

I'm more interested in the preparation of other adventures. Did the PCs do this every time they went dungeon crawling?

If not, it's just meta-gaming.

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
Barendd Nobeard said:
I'm more interested in the preparation of other adventures. Did the PCs do this every time they went dungeon crawling?

If not, it's just meta-gaming.
Actually, yes. We were VERY careful to make sure we didn't permanently die if it was at all possible to stop.

We lost PC's in the abyss, during major wars, once during a natural disaster, but the main core of the PC's we tried to keep alive, and sometimes the GM indulged us.

See, old moldy wasn't the biggest threat out there, there were many more threats in our gaming world. But old moldy knew something nobody else did, and the was how to defeat the Elder Lich Kings, and that meant we had to choke it out of him if we want to defeat them.

DM_Matt

First Post
Angel of Adventure said:
Per meta/powergaming, ToH is not any kinder to those who can build kick butt characters on paper. It still comes down to what you do, not what you are capable of.

Very true, but it does that by entirely disregarding the rules.

Crothian

First Post
DM_Matt said:
Very true, but it does that by entirely disregarding the rules.

it doesn't disregard the rules, it reinvents them. THat's one of the great things about the module, it takes chances by going against what people know and expect.

Numion

First Post
Warlord Ralts said:
Considering we figured this out when we were 13, in 1983, it was a pretty novel idea. There wasn't much "save/reload" going on in gaming or outside.

No need to explain, I just call 'em like I see 'em.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads