• 8 ********

Votes: 101 39.6%
  • 9 *********

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • 10 **********

Votes: 19 7.5%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
If using mass spectrometers on ENWorld threads is an option, I vote yes.
ABSOLUTELY.

Sorry for the soapbox, but I deal with this sort of thing all day and it gets very frustrating. People are always getting data and opinion mixed up (or confusing knowledge and belief), and it makes my job very difficult. Your thermometer doesn't have a political agenda, but the person reading it might.

Not always, it depends on what you're measuring and how. Sometimes the lower end is bounded by the laws of physics but the upper end is not--in that case you would only ignore the upper bound, since you have more confidence in the lower boundary condition.

But I need to stress this part: this is not a scientific data set. This is an opinion poll on ENWorld, not a thermometer or mass spectrometer or whatever. :) Since this is all just a matter of opinion, interpretations can widely depending on the observer and the point the observer wants to make, and all are going to be equally valid. There is no "bad data" to remove (because opinions aren't data) and some opinions can't be more "reliable" or "correct" than others.
I agree with the physics one.
I disagree with the second part. Not all opinions are equaly valid. That is not how statistics work. The sample size is not too small to draw some statistically founded solution.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I agree with the physics one.
I disagree with the second part. Not all opinions are equaly valid. That is not how statistics work. The sample size is not too small to draw some statistically founded solution.
It is, however, a poorly constructed sample that doesn't do anything to minimize bias, no matter the size. That's why its ability to infer anything about the whole population is dubious.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I give it a 10. Do I think it was the greatest movie of all time? No, it was really, really good, but not the greatest movie of all time. However, I gave it a whole two additional points for not only including an aarakocra (my all-time favorite D&D race) in the opening backstory prologue, but actually using him in a pivotal plot point. Also, for his star (re)turn in the closing aftermath segment. If they include an aarakocra in the sequel, well, get ready for another "10" rating.

ABSOLUTELY.

Sorry for the soapbox, but I deal with this sort of thing all day and it gets very frustrating. People are always getting data and opinion mixed up (or confusing knowledge and belief), and it makes my job very difficult. Your thermometer doesn't have a political agenda, but the person reading it might.
So. Maybe we speak of the same but something is lost in the translation.

You can still draw conclusions out of the data. You have different margins of error. And even the best interpretation might have a slight chance of being wrong while the most unlikely is true... and regarding that poll and how it was constructed, the margin of error is big enough for most conclusions. And disregarding certain ratings based on the polls seems also valid.

Still. We have seen a poll with a way bigger sample size that is not too unsimilar tours (a little more 7s a litte less 8s), so it seems we are not the worst representation of the wider audience.

Remove ads