• 8 ********

Votes: 101 39.6%
  • 9 *********

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • 10 **********

Votes: 19 7.5%

Jahydin

Hero
Going by that scale I would give it a 10 too. Or a 9 at least. But in my opinion popcorn movies have an 8 point soft cap and a 9 hard cap, so I gave it an 8 it well deserved.
I'm usually the same way, but this one got so many bonus points from me:

No out of place pop music every 15 min.
Sincerity, rather than treating everything "ironically"
Writers who seemed to care about the source material
Multiple scenes that actually made me laugh (Jarnathan!!!)
Perfect casting
Moments of real maturity (exchange between Holga and ex)
Fun animation (Chubby Dragon, illusion distraction)
Great sets and costumes
Soooo many nerdy Easter eggs
Good family movie with some great morals

Honestly, haven't had this much fun at the movies since Top Gun.

Wouldn't a d20 score be more appropriate? ;) That, or rate it by alignment!

In all seriousness, it was fun. I've seen it twice. The first time, I had it more towards the six range. It had nothing to do with the settings, effects, combat, etc. and everything to do with the writing. Some of the dialogue choices, and worse yet, the character arcs, just seemed amateur to me. But, after watching it again, I was able to overlook those things, and moved my score to a seven. A fun film. I'm glad they made it.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
This! So many modern blockbusters are afraid of sincerity as being 'uncool'. I love that this film isn't afraid to be dorky and wear it's heart on it's sleeve. Top Gun Maverick and the recent Spider-Man films do this too IMO.
Chris Pine agrees with you

"I felt like it was just really honest, it was sweet. And I think sweet has gotten a bad rap. Everything’s got to be really cool nowadays, and I’m really over cool. I think cool is super boring. I want something that’s genuine.”

ViArca

Villager
10/10. It exceeded my expectations. So happy. Way more call backs to D&D than I would have guessed. And while the ending was a little avengers like, there were just so many easter eggs and parts I just loved. My wife loved the fat dragon.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
As a film in general I give it a 6, but as a D&D film I give it an 8. I liked it, but don't see myself revisiting it anytime soon. Felt like character development suffered under a break neck plot speed to name drop as much as possible. However, the casting was great and I enjoyed the humor.

Vael

Legend
9. Not perfect, but kinda perfect for what it's supposed to be. I like the humour, sincerity, it felt very DnD, I liked all the characters. Everyone understood the assignment and executed on it.

Also, I ship Edgin and Xenk.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
I voted an 8.

But holy cow, did I love it. Seeing some of the locations and ideas I've loved my entire life actually materialized on film made me almost tear up.

Just got back from the theater, and I'm going with 10 out of 10 for a high fantasy movie. It's a genre that so rarely fails to disappoint on screens large and small that you have to reward it when they actually hit a homerun. It was about as good as it could be. The hitting average for movies based on games is even more dismal.

Most importantly it was good enough that the more iffy aspects barely registered, I was having too much fun to be bothered. If a movie that was less enjoyable had introduced the Hither Thither staff in such an improbable and convenient way I'd probably be ranting about it here right now, but I didn't and don't care for the reason I didn't and don't care that character of Indiana Jones infamously has very little actual impact on the plot events of Raiders of the Lost Ark: The nitpicky part of my brain just doesn't engage if I'm never bored and constantly enjoying the experience. Which is all just a long way of saying that, while on rewatch and further analysis I might consider it closer to an 8, I still want to give the film credit for leaving me in a mood to give it a 10; that's not easy to do.

I gave it a 10. It had everything I wanted out of a D&D movie and it surpassed my expectations. I loved the story, the characters, the cast, the dialog, the humor, the villains, the special effects. It was set in Faerun and namedropped plenty of well known locations, as well as feature plenty of classic D&D creatures.

I especially loved how they went all out with the use of magic items and spells. The schemes of the characters often felt like the sort of insane plans a group of players would come up with to frustrate their DM.

And sure, they are clearly copying the Marvel formula here. But an ensemble movie with lots of wisecracking fits a D&D movie really well. Plus, any movie that has Michelle Rodriguez in it, is already doing something right.

As others have stated, the movie also has a lot of heart and sincerity to it. It has a few actually good morals, and a few very mature moments. I especially loved the scene between Holga and her former halfling lover. He clearly has a type!

This is one of those movies where you just have a big grin on your face the whole way through, and you leave the cinema really happy. This is exactly what I want out of a movie.

I hope this movie does well, and that we get more movies.

Last edited:

Remove ads