• 8 ********

Votes: 101 39.6%
  • 9 *********

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • 10 **********

Votes: 19 7.5%

Stalker0

Legend
A solid 8. Great humor, it felt like dnd without being too cheesy or too "wink at the camera" when people were noting certain dndisms.

I had a few friends with me that don't play and they were thoroughly entertained.

werecorpse

Adventurer
7, quite cartoonish in tone which was fine, entertaining though fairly forgettable. The D&D monsters and magic effects they portrayed looked good and the humour worked for the most part. The ensemble party were all pretty good, the two main characters both did a great job.
From a gamer perspective the part that was most consistent with the game: The Paladin was OP. The part that was least consistent: The party adventured without a cleric.
I felt it was pitched to a young adult audience, so not me, and think I may have given it only a 6 partially for the, not my cup of tea reason, if it wasn’t a D&D movie.

Quickleaf

Legend
8.5, I enjoyed it as a popcorn film but my 11yo nephew absolutely loved it. They did more right than they did wrong, there were pacing issues & missed opportunities for character development, but there were a couple stand-out scenes and lots of chuckles. Left me with a couple ideas to play with in my next D&D game.

ccooke

Adventurer
8. It's not perfect, but it's fun to watch and I'd enjoy seeing it again. If it stands up to rewatching, I'll happily compare it to things like Indiana Jones - great fun, action and comedy, not a masterpiece but also not trying to be - it wants to be a fun film that lots of people enjoy.

I'm leaning towards yes on that now, but I enjoyed seeing it once and maybe on a repeat viewing it won't work. But at least I want to try that.

Nebulous

Legend
I gave it a 7. Was fun, lighthearted, and did (mostly) feel like a D&D session. Chris Pine really held it together. Well, the whole cast was good. I wasn't bowled over by the movie, but it was certainly good enough, and I expect they will get some sequels and spin-offs.

Nebulous

Legend
I think they went the correct route in making a widely acceptable D&D movie for mass appeal. Personally, I would want a grittier D&D movie more like Conan the Barbarian,. but that's just me.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
A solid 7. Way better than I expected. Some clunky bits, but overall a thoroughly enjoyable romp. Lots of little details for the gamers too. Looking forward to seeing it again at some point.

Remove ads