• It's good and will be used but there are better feats

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • You'd be better off with another feat

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • It still sucks

Votes: 3 23.1%

FluidDragon

First Post
I'm playing a 3.5 monk using spiked chain, combat expertise, improved trip, combat reflexes. I'm stuck using core 3.5 PHB feats only so no good OA crunchies. I am a tactical melee support. Kinda move haras move taking full attacks when possible. getting the most out of tumble and increased movement. Any way I was contemplating feets for 6th level and I was looking at the run feat. In 3.0 it was horrible but in 3.5 you get

x5 move (what monk is ever encumbered?)
Keep dex mods to AC (Nice!)
Get +4 to jump checks (4 extra feet in a long jump)

I'm not going the spring attack route. Anyway would this feat be good for a Monk? ANything I'm missing?

What are your stats? With a monk, one issue is often that your abilities are either spread too thin, or have a gaping hole somewhere. If you have a high dex and low strength, you could consider Weapon Finesse. If your hit points are too low, consider doing whatever you can to raise your defenses (Dodge, Blind Fight, save raising feats, etc). Improved Initiative could also help you out a lot from a tactical standpoint (make sure you trip the enemy before they get to act). None of these options are any better than Run, but none are any worse, either.

FluidDragon

First Post
Deset Gled said:
What are your stats? With a monk, one issue is often that your abilities are either spread too thin, or have a gaping hole somewhere. If you have a high dex and low strength, you could consider Weapon Finesse. If your hit points are too low, consider doing whatever you can to raise your defenses (Dodge, Blind Fight, save raising feats, etc). Improved Initiative could also help you out a lot from a tactical standpoint (make sure you trip the enemy before they get to act). None of these options are any better than Run, but none are any worse, either.

STR 16, DEX 18, CON 14, INT 13, WIS 12, CHA 8.

If I have access to OA I'd choose feats from there. But with core only my choices are limited. Its a cool char either way I was just looking for other peoples experience with it (3.5 run). We have a large party with 2 meat shields, so I am not the primary melee guy but can have fun.

-FD

MarauderX

Explorer
Too bad about OA...

You may want to go the grapple or trip route and take a feat to help you with it. Since you have the meat shields already, you may as well be the infiltrator, getting behind their lines to get at enemy casters and messing them up. I would go with a trip/grapple feat to help you out in the long run with the spiked chain.

Storminator

First Post
You've already got +8 to jump, just from the speed boost, and you double move faster than an armored man can run. So it'll be quite redundant with what you already get for free.

I would get Improved Disarm, as it gives you another "special effects" option.

PS

Simulacrum

First Post
Funky, from what I know of 3.5 monks that they can threaten with reach effectively without spending a feat for the spiked chain.
Just take a polearm (naginata) and you still threaten at 10" and at 5" because the monk can attack unarmed even when both his hands are full!
Or did I get something wrong?
One feat more to spend!

Last edited:

FluidDragon

First Post
I'm still debating the improved disarm. Spiked chains already give a but load of bonuses to disarm (range +2 weapon, +4 2-handed weapon, +4 if oponent is prone). I may pick it up later, depends on how many humaniods we still fight.

I'd love to enhance the grappling with choke hold and earths embrace (I took I.G. at 1st, as my wis is low so no stunning fist). It kinda sucks with only core allowed, but hey. I didn't want to invest 3 feats into spring attack, which minimizes one of the monks special abilities ie flurry of blows. 3 feats is alot, with dodge still sucking and mobility is situatinoal and with a maxed out tumble not that needed.

Run seems to be cool now and actually gets you something.

I'm not sure how the campaign will go and don't want to focus all my feats on fighting humaniods. Right now he is very effective. I was just wondering if the feat was effective in game play and not just on paper.

-FD

FluidDragon

First Post
Simulacrum said:
Funky, from what I know of 3.5 monks that they can threaten with reach effectively without spending a feat for the spiked chain.
Just take a polearm (naginata) and you still threaten at 10" and at 5" because the monk can attack unarmed even when both his hands are full!
Or did I get something wrong?
One feat more to spend!

With out checking in the core rules the monk does not have access to the naginata without spending a feat. Plus the spiked chain allows you to trip and disarm from range. It is actually the weapon my characters order's martial art is based on. The range with specials is just icing on the cake.

Remove ads