D&D 5E Ravenloft Campaign Expectations

dave2008

Legend
Personally, if I was going to run an adventure of campaign in the mists I would hold off until I see what the creative people on DMsGuild come up with to support this product. I am pretty confident there will be a good bit of support on DMsGuild once this hits the street.

jgsugden

Legend
I am going to adapt what I am currently doing, which is essentially the same since the start of 4E and the first time I played Keep on the Shadowfell.

The Shadowfell is a reflective plane, constantly warping to become a dark version of the prime material plane. However, when something horrific happens on the prime material plane - catastrophically horrific - the reflection on the dark plane is so profound that it gives life to that section of the plane, and a new Dark Domain is formed. A Death God that resides in that plane detects these changes and seals them off in the mists to protect the rest of the Shadowfell from these 'cancers'.

What exists in these Dark Domains is not the horrific being, location, magical item, or event that was such a catastrophe on the prime, but an even darker shadowy reflection. It is a scar on reality left behind by the wound. It isn't whole, either - it is more like a ghost. It is only the essence of the thing that has been manifested, sometimes in extremely twisted ways. However, when creatures find their ways into these realms, they become intertwined with these scars in ways that slowly allow the scar to become more and more whole. Mortals, and especially their emotions, are used to develop the realm and make the scar into a whole being. Eventually, these scars will usually seek release from their misty prison (although some are quite content to stay within their bubble and enjoy torturing those that fall prey to them). When they do manage to escape, really bad things happen.

When I get the new book, I'll be looking at the rules ideas, and considering using some of the Domains provided as inspiration for other realms in my world that PCs might visit (although I have over 50 Dark Domains already - while the tie to the Shadowfell came about with 4E, I've had Ravenloft Dread Domains in my homebrew cosmology since the first boxed set). I'll also steal monsters, etc... However, I won't use it as a campaign sourcebook as a whole.

Remove ads