D&D General Ravenloft, horror, & safety tools...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Sigh. Forget it. You guys want a monster. That ins't what I am. But you also can't see how ridiculous this is and how obvious it is there is BS afoot. I don't know what else to say. Maybe I am old and out of touch. I think this stuff is causing people to behave in much more negative and unhealthy ways. Just based on the wisdom I've gained being alive four decades, it isn't an idea I can get behind.
Also closing on four decades. Difference is I'm not trying to push a dangerous conspiracy theory that justifies being insensitive because of some idea that people are faking their feelings or whatever with absolutely no evidence. I used my wisdom to not get roped into dangerous beliefs to protect my worldview that people should handle their mental issues on their own an that the people around them have no role or responsibility.

I mean, honestly: 'social script'?

And going back to the 'well people will dismiss mental issues because of people 'faking'' deal. You know who is the problem there? The jerks being dismissive of people. Every time. Because they're using the idea of people 'faking' to justify being bad people.

Edit: Also? 40 is nowhere near old enough to use 'out of touch' as an excuse.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
The routine is one where people declare subjective arguments objective truth and demand people agree with those arguments. It is just not how real conversation works.
That's not how truth works. You don't get to choose which parts of reality to believe and which to reject. I clearly outlined my reasoning in my rebuttal post to you, but dismissed it without even giving a good-faith response (that isn't to say that I expected one, but it would have been a welcome surprise). Good faith discussion requires sincere and truthful response and rebuttal, not "I dislike what you said so I'm not even going to respond to it".

I don't think I want to know what your definition of "real conversation" is.

That's not how truth works. You don't get to choose which parts of reality to believe and which to reject. I clearly outlined my reasoning in my rebuttal post to you, but dismissed it without even giving a good-faith response (that isn't to say that I expected one, but it would have been a welcome surprise). Good faith discussion requires sincere and truthful response and rebuttal, not "I dislike what you said so I'm not even going to respond to it".

I don't think I want to know what your definition of "real conversation" is.

It was about the third or fourth post that had that quality to it. I am sorry but I just can't engage that kind of tone in a conversation

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I could argue your conclusion is selection bias as well (you are assuming all the people who are expressing these things all legitimately need safety tools, and that might not be the case). I think there is a lot of room for debate here. And I think it would be foolish for us to deny when we sense things are getting a little out of control on this front.
It’s not up to you what other people need. It’s not up to you to police the truth of what other people say. It’s surreal to have to explain that to a 43-year-old man. I’m older than you, by the way. I absolutely see the value of safety tools.

There is literally zero harm in believing people and taking them at their word that they prefer, like, or need the safety tools you already use laid out in a formal way.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The form is meant to START the conversation, not replace it

It's there to make sure you know what to ask rather than missing something because you don't consider it a potential trigger
and it's a bad "start" because it fails at providing information. You& @AcererakTriple6 have literally ignored every reason I gave for it being bad & repeatedly just thrown the responsibility of doing anything more than checking a box on a form that gets presented as some kind of thing the GM is entirely responsible for
"I'm not going to have human decency unless I get paid for it!!!" is a very "strange" rebuttal, to say the least.

They are sharing the responsibility. They're doing that when they fill out the form. They're doing it when they agree to purposefully avoid other people's triggers. You're the ringleader. It's on you to ask for clarification if you don't understand. It's not on the form to fix everything. Again, the form is the tool, not the solution.
No I'd call it strange to expect GMs to behave like they are being paid in order to avoid even talking about any of the reasons why a details box is important. Also both of you keep in mind bob checked a yellow box not red

Also what the heck does it tell me when Alice does this?
1619576862976.png

I used my wisdom to not get roped into dangerous beliefs to protect my worldview that people should handle their mental issues on their own an that the people around them have no role or responsibility.

Perhaps you are being roped into a dangerous belief is my point

Faolyn

(she/her)
Oh bob will be thrilled if I say that across the table one day because your literally arguing that it's unreasonable for me to expect bob to take some share of the responsibility by filling out a details box on a form that only has a checkbox.
Why on earth would you say that across the table when pulling someone aside or sending them an email or DM are options?

I have other players, I'm am not bob's therapist, & I've also never met a DM who gets paid for being a GM. Bob needs to share some responsibility & the form needs to include a place for him to do that or the form is a bad tool.
As per above: email or DMs. "Hey, if there's something not on the form, just send me a note about it."

I could argue your conclusion is selection bias as well (you are assuming all the people who are expressing these things all legitimately need safety tools, and that might not be the case). I think there is a lot of room for debate here. And I think it would be foolish for us to deny when we sense things are getting a little out of control on this front.
You're still assuming a significant percentage of gamers are misrepresenting their desire for safety tools

Everyone has a line they don't want crossed
Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads