Ravenloft TSR sales numbers

darjr

I crit!
These are cool! I must admit a strong desire now to see adventure sales numbers and novel sales numbers. I’m never satisfied!

Actual! Ravenloft! Sales numbers!

The chart below contains sales numbers for the three core Ravenloft setting releases between 1990 and 1998 (The two boxed sets, and Domains of Dread). Sales are in units sold, and covers only North American sales.

Given that Ravenloft was my favorite setting, I am surprised that sales weren’t stronger.

This afternoon, I’ll post sales numbers for the two Dark Sun boxed sets.

Have you preordered my book on D&D history, Slaying the Dragon, yet? If you preorder now, you get a free Jeff Easley bookplate! This offer ends in a mere six days, so take advantage of it now!

Also, in comments below are snips of the actual data used to generate the charts.

66FAD1BC-6F94-4807-8124-5B2F4774248A.jpeg

Last edited:

I think Ravenloft I think of the campaign setting that 'won' I hate to think what dragon lance, darksun, and birthright look like... and I will weap for spelljammer I am sure

Stormonu

Legend
I think Ravenloft I think of the campaign setting that 'won' I hate to think what dragon lance, darksun, and birthright look like... and I will weap for spelljammer I am sure
From the books I was seeing lingering on the shelves forever, my guess would be out of those that Birthright was the lowest selling, and Dragonlance probably the best. I'm betting Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Mystara and Planescape were somewhere in the middle.

Not on the list, I'd wonder how DL vs. FR did, and how many magnitudes greater FR sold.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
From the books I was seeing lingering on the shelves forever, my guess would be out of those that Birthright was the lowest selling, and Dragonlance probably the best. I'm betting Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Mystara and Planescape were somewhere in the middle.

Not on the list, I'd wonder how DL vs. FR did, and how many magnitudes greater FR sold.
He posted a bunch of these earlier: Spelljammer actually outsold Ravenloft, and the best selling Settings were Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk. The Forgotteb Realma pulled ahead because the revised box set sold decently, unlike From the Ashes, which was apparently a dud.
FXkzkHfXEAAU6W8.jpeg
FXkzc06XgAIId6R.jpeg

FXkzSZuWYAILVCm.jpeg
FXeiez7WAAErgS9.jpeg

Attachments

• FXei0yIWYAMxAaD.jpeg
    FXei0yIWYAMxAaD.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 57
  • FXeip67XEAAlW0E.jpeg
    FXeip67XEAAlW0E.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 64

Remove ads